Jump to content

  • Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

No bands despite different primers and conditions and TAqs


  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ramblingrat

ramblingrat

    member

  • Active Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
1
Neutral

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:55 PM

Hi everyone,

 

I am trying to get a 150-200 bp PCR product from genomic DNA (for pyrosequencing). However, after trying different annealing temperatures (52-62 C), extension times (30-60 s), MgCl concentrations (2-3), primer concentrations and 2 different TAQs, I still don't get any visible PCR products on a 1.6% agarose gel. I have a positive control (1200 bp), which always works perfectly. With 2 primers flanking my region of interest, I got a PCR product which I sequenced and which seems to be correct. 

 

Has anyone ever experienced something like that and any further advice what I could do about this?

 

Thank you so much!!

 

R.



#2 bob1

bob1

    Thelymitra pulchella

  • Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,826 posts
413
Excellent

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:08 PM

If the region has a high GC content, or is likely to form significant secondary structure, then it may be necessary to add a secondary structure inhibitor such as DMSO or betaine.

 

As you are getting nothing, it is hard to trouble-shoot, so I would suggest that you try some lower annealing temps (as low as 40) and if you are using normal Taq, definitely try using 1.5 mM MgCl2, as it works well at that concentration.  Higher concs of Mg are normally only needed if you have an excess of dNTPs in the reaction.



#3 ramblingrat

ramblingrat

    member

  • Active Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
1
Neutral

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:11 AM

Hi Bob,

 

Many thanks, will give DMSO another try. If I figure anything else out I'll get back here. And if there are any other suggestions - welcome :).

 

R.



#4 bob1

bob1

    Thelymitra pulchella

  • Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,826 posts
413
Excellent

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:39 PM

Another thing that can be a problem is contaminants/inhibitors in the DNA that are causing the reaction to fail (might only fail for some particular reactions) - try diluting the DNA 1:10, 1:100 and 1:1000 and see how that goes.



#5 phage434

phage434

    Veteran

  • Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
252
Excellent

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:07 PM

Sometimes primers simply don't work. I'm now of the opinion that if primers fail more than 2-3 times after trying gradient PCR and DNA dilution, I choose diferent primers. Life is too short to fool around with poor primers, and I've found that a second set almost always works.



#6 ramblingrat

ramblingrat

    member

  • Active Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
1
Neutral

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:15 PM

Hi guys,

 

Many thanks for your advice! FYI: Finally, the 5th forward primer gives me a robust result but only with the 2nd TAQ, after adding DMSO + doubling the primer concentration + 3-fold MgCl concentration and with 50 cycles @ 62C. 

Took a while to figure this out...

 

Best,

R.



#7 bob1

bob1

    Thelymitra pulchella

  • Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,826 posts
413
Excellent

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:45 AM

Be aware that 50 cycles is an awful lot - at this point you could easily be amplifying contaminants.

#8 phage434

phage434

    Veteran

  • Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
252
Excellent

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:57 AM

I strongly agree with Bob1. Anything beyond about 35 cycles is suspect, unless you are working in extreme conditions, such as single cell PCR.

New, different, primers! Or perhaps what you are trying to amplify is simply not there. I don't know what your template is, but if it has extremely low GC sections of 30 bp or so, it is sometime necessary to lower the extension (not the annealing) temperature to 63-65 instead of 72.



#9 ramblingrat

ramblingrat

    member

  • Active Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
1
Neutral

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:15 PM

Hi guys,

 

Thanks for your advise - since I am pyroseqencing my product and it works nicely I am not really worried about amplifying contaminants ;). I often increase the number of cycles to increase the yield - if the reaction is specific I haven't had any problems with that so far.

 

Best,

R.






Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.