• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

T-cell activation assay: PBMC vs purified CD3+ T-cells

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 neuropath

neuropath

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
Neutral

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:33 PM

Hi,

I am new to immunology and need some advice on T-cell activation assay to test the immunogenicity of a particular type of cells. From the literature, I learned that activation of T-cells can be assayed by their expression of cytotoxic molecules such as granzyme B and perforin. These assays are usually performed using purified CD3+ pan T-cells.

My questions are as follows:

1. Since whole PBMCs contain 45-70% of CD3+ T-cells, can I perform the assay using whole PBMCs and then use flow cytometry to enumerate the fractions of activated subsets of CD3+ T-cells within the PBMC population that express the cytotoxic molecules?

2. What is the minimum number of individual T-cell samples do I need to include in the study in order to make it acceptable by conventional standards?

I only have limited amounts of PBMCs and enriching T-cells by any method is not really an option for me. Also, commercially available T-cells are quite costly and I don't have the budget for them unless the number of individual samples that I need is small.  

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

-neuropath-

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.