• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Just looking back a bit..

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Trof

Trof

Brain on a stick

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
Excellent

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:38 AM

Today I learned they finally published a book on molecular hematology, where I co-authored one small chapter.

I have papers published, sure, but you know.. book is a book. Ordinary people go to bookstores and see it there.. buy it. And it's quite big.

I'm looking at it right now. I have multiple reservations about it, sure.

But as I look at it, I also think how much it cost.

While doing final corrections to the manuscripts in April, I got really concerned about the wrong use of apostrophs, quotations and "prime" symbols thought out the book. Hours spend in frantic search for "making it right" caused the critical decline in my then already bad mental health condition.

The final straw..

Went home barefoot.

Ended in the month-long psychiatric hospitalization the next day. And many things changed. Funny thing is, that despide it all, mostly for better. I learned somethig I would probably never learn otherwise.

So now I'm holding the big blue "Molecular hematology" book in my hands (with a kind of ugly picture on top) and it's a strange feeling.

Somehow I can't explain to others the value it has for me and the price I payed for it.. 

More than just a textbook.

Our country has a serious deficiency in lighthouses. I assume the main reason is that we have no sea.

I never trust anything that can't be doubted.

'Normal' is a dryer setting. - Elizabeth Moon

#2 Tabaluga

Tabaluga

Making glass out of shards

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
Excellent

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:59 AM

Congratulations. I think I can imagine what it means to you to see the final result of a lot of work you payed dearly for, even with your personal health. Also it's an inspirational story, somehow.

Il dort. Quoique le sort fût pour lui bien étrange,
Il vivait. Il mourut quand il n'eut plus son ange;
La chose simplement d'elle-même arriva,
Comme la nuit se fait lorsque le jour s'en va.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.