• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

How to cite a report?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Curtis

Curtis

Metaller Scientist

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
Excellent

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:38 AM

Hi, I have a problem. A part of a result was mailed to us by an organization as a report. Now my manuscript reviewer tells me I need to cite that info. How do I do that? I can only say that it was done by the X organization and the result was Y, followed by the date and reference number written on top of the letter. I can't add this to my reference section at the end of my manuscript, or to my Endnote. In the report, there is no name of the people who did it. I also checked the authors guide on the journal website, it doesn't say how to cite such letters. 

#2 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,332 posts
Excellent

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:31 AM

Hi, I have a problem. A part of a result was mailed to us by an organization as a report. Now my manuscript reviewer tells me I need to cite that info. How do I do that? I can only say that it was done by the X organization and the result was Y, followed by the date and reference number written on top of the letter. I can't add this to my reference section at the end of my manuscript, or to my Endnote. In the report, there is no name of the people who did it. I also checked the authors guide on the journal website, it doesn't say how to cite such letters. 

Sometimes I see: authors unknown...

With the rest of the data you do have... it is in the reference list...

so I dont see why you cant do it like this...

Or perhaps just ask the company/organization who made it (who the author should be...)

If its a reference you use, then include it.. and give as much as information about it as possible...

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

#3 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,531 posts
Excellent

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:39 AM

or "Anonymous" as author, then date, (perhaps unpublished) report or data by organisation Y, town X, country, pages.
I've many of them in my literature database and add them as "generic" as type of work and then what is is (report, leaflet, bulletin, presentation, etc.)

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

That is....if she posts at all.

#4 Curtis

Curtis

Metaller Scientist

• Global Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
Excellent

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:01 PM

or "Anonymous" as author, then date, (perhaps unpublished) report or data by organisation Y, town X, country, pages.I've many of them in my literature database and add them as "generic" as type of work and then what is is (report, leaflet, bulletin, presentation, etc.)

Thanks, wondering how i can add this info to Endnote

#5 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,531 posts
Excellent

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:28 AM

I work with Mendeley wink.png , but even an old version of Endnote I used before had lots of reference types available (more than Mendeley), so you surely even find report or something similar.

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

That is....if she posts at all.

#6 Curtis

Curtis

Metaller Scientist

• Global Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
Excellent

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:11 AM

Thanks hobglobin

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.