• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Serum starvation - something similar for serum-free kept cells ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tabaluga

Tabaluga

Making glass out of shards

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
Excellent

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:43 AM

Hi, got a general question: Is there anything equivalent to serum starvation for cells that are regularly kept in serum-free media (e.g. stem cells) ? I mean some that technique that would also synchronize the cells and/or reduce background signaling noise from media components.

(I once tried withdrawing supplement and growth factors but then my suspension cells turned strangely semi-adherent and began to look sick.)

Il dort. Quoique le sort fût pour lui bien étrange,
Il vivait. Il mourut quand il n'eut plus son ange;
La chose simplement d'elle-même arriva,
Comme la nuit se fait lorsque le jour s'en va.

#2 science noob

science noob

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 281 posts
Excellent

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:37 PM

Hi, got a general question: Is there anything equivalent to serum starvation for cells that are regularly kept in serum-free media (e.g. stem cells) ? I mean some that technique that would also synchronize the cells and/or reduce background signaling noise from media components.

(I once tried withdrawing supplement and growth factors but then my suspension cells turned strangely semi-adherent and began to look sick.)

Maybe try growing your cells in defined medium? Serum-free alternatives commercially available?

http://www.invitroge...free-media.html

Or if you're just synchronising your cells (i presume to keep them in the same cell cycle at G0-G1)? You only have to do that for 24-72h depending on cell type.  Then switch it back to serum-containing media.  Or you can try chemically-based synchronisation (e.g. roscovitine, aphidicolin, and colchicine) in the presence of serum.

#3 Tabaluga

Tabaluga

Making glass out of shards

• Active Members
  • 400 posts
Excellent

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:18 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. but as I said, the cells I have are already in serum-free (but growth factor and B27-supplement added) medium. They have to be kept in serum-free medium as the presence of serum would completely differentiate them. I was wondering if there is an equivalent technique to serum starvation for cells that don't have serum in their medium in the first place.

Il dort. Quoique le sort fût pour lui bien étrange,
Il vivait. Il mourut quand il n'eut plus son ange;
La chose simplement d'elle-même arriva,
Comme la nuit se fait lorsque le jour s'en va.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.