• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

EDTA concentration

electrophoresis

Best Answer hobglobin, 22 August 2013 - 11:43 AM

As a fan of lithium borate buffer I'd say you have no problem at all, as EDTA seems mostly needless....Anyway you have surely slightly different running conditions, as the ionic strength is different...less heat for example and different running speed, but no idea if this is noticeable.

Read e.g. this paper:

Sodium boric acid: a tris-free, cooler conductive medium for DNA electrophoresis. Biotechniques 36(2):214-215.

To quote:

"Another component of  currently used buffers, EDTA, is now  largely superfluous, since most DNA samples are readily soluble and since commonly used enzymes today would not carry an undesirable enzymatic activity under electrophoretic conditions."

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kostas

Kostas

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Neutral

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:04 AM

Dear all,

would I have a problem if the final concentration of EDTA in my 0,5X TBE electrophoresis buffer is 0,83 mM instead of 1 mM? And if anyone knows, what is the optimum maximum and minimum EDTA concentration and why?

#2 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
Excellent

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:43 AM   Best Answer

As a fan of lithium borate buffer I'd say you have no problem at all, as EDTA seems mostly needless....Anyway you have surely slightly different running conditions, as the ionic strength is different...less heat for example and different running speed, but no idea if this is noticeable.

Read e.g. this paper:

Sodium boric acid: a tris-free, cooler conductive medium for DNA electrophoresis. Biotechniques 36(2):214-215.

To quote:

"Another component of  currently used buffers, EDTA, is now  largely superfluous, since most DNA samples are readily soluble and since commonly used enzymes today would not carry an undesirable enzymatic activity under electrophoretic conditions."

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

#3 Kostas

Kostas

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:18 AM

Thank you for your help hobglobin, I will definitely look into the article you sent!

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.