• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

What is ideas Laptop configuration for running Phylogenetics software

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Inbox

Inbox

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
Excellent

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:38 AM

Hello,

What is ideas Laptop configuration for running Phylogenetics softwares. If I want to run phylogenetics with large data sets what configuration of laptop is needed? Is 4GB RAM ok or I should go for more. thanks.

#2 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,548 posts
Excellent

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:49 AM

I'd say the faster and the more RAM the better. But it really depends on software, data type and data size...for some types of data e.g. large sets of long sequences you want to align even the fastest desktop might be too slow and you have to use the university's central computing facilities with "super computers".

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

That is....if she posts at all.

#3 El Crazy Xabi

El Crazy Xabi

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 199 posts
Excellent

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:56 PM

I don't know much about but some software like *BEAST or Ugene can use CUDA technology from some Nvidia graphic cards to improve calculation times with some GPU-accelerated algorithms. Others can use OpenCL for better computing. Also, multi-core CPU improve performance and allow multi-thread computing.

In any case, for large datasets you can use CIPRES server online facilities.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.