• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Melting curve is irregular for primer optimization

pcr primer melting curve optimization

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 insulin23

insulin23

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Neutral

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:37 AM

Hello,

I recently optimized some newly designed primers. I used different concentrations of real-time primers (900, 450, 300, 150 nM). I got Ct values around 24-27, but the dissociation curves were jagged and irregular, and did not follow the usual one peak pattern. When I ran the products on an agarose gel, I observed only one band.

What are the possible reasons for this irregular melting curve and how can I resolve this issue?

Thanks!

#2 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts
Excellent

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:49 AM

can you show a picture or anything to describe the situation?

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#3 PhalanxBio

PhalanxBio

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Neutral

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:44 AM

i suggest trying the qPCR reaction again to see if this result is reproducible.  if the gel showed only one band, then you should get a clean dissociation curve.  can you also include a positive control reaction that you know gives you a perfect dissociation curve?

#4 insulin23

insulin23

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Neutral

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:37 PM

I actually repeated this experiment twice and  got the same weird melting curves. I ran another real-time pcr experiment right after using different primers, and the melting curves looked normal, so I think it's an issue with the primers that we designed to a specific promoter. I've attached a picture I took of the screen showing my melting curves for all the samples.

Attached Thumbnails

• melting curve1.png

#5 insulin23

insulin23

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Neutral

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:22 PM

Anyone come across these types of melting curves?

#6 PhalanxBio

PhalanxBio

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Neutral

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:42 AM

No, definitely haven't seen anything like that. Perhaps you should try to design another set of primers.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.