• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Cleaning probes with 1% DEPC water.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Wek

Wek

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts
Neutral

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:30 AM

I'm cleaning so reusable probes that I use for RNA homogenization. I have looked at a few online guides about incubating the probes with 1% DEPC water but I am confused about the steps.

I incubated my probes wih 70% ethanol first and now I am incubating the probes in 1% DEPC water. For the DEPC step I just added the DEPC to water and submerged my probes in it. I'll incubate them over the weekend and then autoclave the probes that are submerged in DEPC water with a Liq20 cycle. 

Is there anything wrong with those steps?

Thanks

Edited by Wek, 08 August 2013 - 10:31 AM.

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,728 posts
Excellent

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:45 PM

Sounds fine to me, though make sure the probes can stand the autoclaving first...

#3 Wek

Wek

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts
Neutral

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:04 AM

Great, I have never done this before so I wasn't sure. Btw, would I be able to remove the probes from the DEPC water, wrap them in aluminum foil, and autoclave them? Or do I need to autoclave the probes while they are in the DEPC water?

#4 phage434

phage434

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts
Excellent

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:19 AM

The RNAse destruction is done by the DEPC, not by the autoclaving. The autoclave treatment is to remove the DEPC. So, it should be fine to wrap and autoclave.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.