• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

why i get double band for recombinant protein

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 thanhtam

thanhtam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:56 AM

Hi all,

I am trying to express a protein fuse with His-tag in E.coli. When purify it by Ni-NTA gel or run western blot, i always get two bands which only have a few kDa different. Why i get band like that and how I can make sure which band is my protein?

#2 loz

loz

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Neutral

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:22 AM

silly question....but it isn't a dimer or something like that is it?

#3 loz

loz

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Neutral

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:30 AM

Actually, I remember purifying a protein once that was not a dime and it always showed a doublet via western blot. We could not explain it really, but it was put down to gycosylation for some reason which did not ever make sense to me!

#4 loz

loz

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Neutral

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:32 AM

can you use akta or mass spec?

#5 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
Excellent

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:38 AM

Suggestion: Possible self-cleavage protein

Try analyze your protein using SignalP at http://www.cbs.dtu.d...rvices/SignalP/ or TargetP http://www.cbs.dtu.d...rvices/TargetP/ or peptide cutter at http://web.expasy.org/peptide_cutter/

Using gel filtration chromatography system, we usually can see If is the case of dimer or multimers. However for SDS-PAGE and WB, since we had boiled and denatured the proteins, all the bondings that hold the multimers should be destroyed, and I believe even if there are presence of multimers, through SDS-PAGE or WB, you only can see 1 single band in the end results.

Hope this helps.

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#6 loz

loz

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Neutral

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:56 AM

That is very interesting Adrian.

I work with an excreted trans membrane protein that is a dimer, the one where I mentioned this doublet (I call it a doublet because it is not the correct size to be the dimeric partner, definitely something else as it is present with bothe monomer and dimer bands). In one vector in particular, it always produces a doublet via W.B, whether this is a reducing or a non reducing gel. I know that this is not my question, but who knows, might help solve the quandary. Interesting hey?

#7 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
Excellent

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:28 AM

Correct me if I am wrong, My impression is you are using Anti-His for your WB detection? Or do you mean you are using specific some antibody?

Just curious, can you detail to us your primary and secondary antibody origins?

Based on what you mentioned, I am thinking the possibility of your recombinant protein might be forming a complex with something else. Possible for you to isolate the two proteins and perform mass spec analysis?

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#8 littlebull

littlebull

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:46 AM

Which system have you used for protein expression? There may be modification, such as glycosylation.  

#9 guyava

guyava

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Neutral

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:39 AM

assuming your expression system is eukaryotic, this is probably a PTM, most likely glycosylation. To get a definitive answer you can:

1. Excise the 2 bands from the gel an send to MS. This will tell you if these 2 bands are actually the same protein or not.

2. Incubate you protein with a deglycosylation enzyme (can be purchased from Sigma or elsewhere) and test the disappearance of one of the bands (most likely the upper one) - which will indicate that the doublet is due to heterogenous glycosylation.

#10 labtastic

labtastic

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:23 PM

Had the exact same problem in graduate school. Super super long story short...turns out the lower band was the protein with an internal crosslink. Upper band was non-crosslinked. 

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.