• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Computing binding efficiency

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Hodag

Hodag

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Neutral

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:11 AM

Can somebody give me some guidance on how to determine the efficiency of certain biologic reactions?

In particular, I am interested in how 6% hydroxyethyl starch assists in the removal of erythrocytes (human).  When hetastarch is added to blood, the erythrocytes rouleaux with the starch making them heavier than the rest of the cells.  This enhances gravity sedimentation or removal via centrifugation.

However, I want a final product that is nearly free of starch molecules once the erythrocytes are removed.  I can compute the number of erythrocytes in the sample easily enough, but I want to compute the minimum amount of starch that will cause sedimentation without leaving behind a lot of extra starch molecules.  I presume this has something to do with the affinity of the two substances but the literature is rather unhelpful.

Is there an easy way to determine this figure or is it something that has to be estimated experimentally by analyzing the residual product?

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.