• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Is this primer okay?

primer PCR

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JianxiaoHuang

JianxiaoHuang

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Neutral

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:45 AM

hi everbody

I need to get rid of dimer of primer and ensure the Tm value is about 60oC, so I add some bases, which dose not pair with the template in the middle, to this primer.

can anybody tell me whether or not this primer works in qPCR.

Attached Thumbnails

• U@A5KMO1VXG_XTYO33ZJ`1.jpg

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,674 posts
Excellent

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:46 PM

I'm no expert on qPCR, so you can take this any way you want, but for maximal efficiency you would need to use a primer that binds completely to the target, adding bases inside primers is never a good idea unless you want to generate mutants (e.g. site directed mutagenesis), as these additions lower the efficiency of the PCR.

#3 JianxiaoHuang

JianxiaoHuang

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Neutral

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:27 PM

I'm no expert on qPCR, so you can take this any way you want, but for maximal efficiency you would need to use a primer that binds completely to the target, adding bases inside primers is never a good idea unless you want to generate mutants (e.g. site directed mutagenesis), as these additions lower the efficiency of the PCR.

Thank you, bob1

#4 phage434

phage434

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts
Excellent

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:46 PM

That primer Might work, if you lower your annealing temperature. But I would definitely redesign it given an opportunity. The mismatches are at the 5' end, so are much less likely to cause problems, but you have only 15 bp or so of correctly matched bases, which is not enough to get good specificity and a decent annealing temperature.

#5 JianxiaoHuang

JianxiaoHuang

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Neutral

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:15 PM

That primer Might work, if you lower your annealing temperature. But I would definitely redesign it given an opportunity. The mismatches are at the 5' end, so are much less likely to cause problems, but you have only 15 bp or so of correctly matched bases, which is not enough to get good specificity and a decent annealing temperature.

As you said, I redesigned a better one.Thank you for your explanation.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.