• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

software for thesis writing (text+figures)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,525 posts
Excellent

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:34 AM

No it is a problem, especially for writing a thesis!

Well I hope journal editors have a DTP program even if I send it in Word, yet my thesis is not exactly edited this way wink.png

So for the same reason interchangebility in not an issue for this case (the topic was asking about thesis, otherwise interchangebility is an issue) and it's only important if my editor supports my citation manager plugin.

And, I wrote my master thesis a bit before Word 2007, so I know there are some things better now (and few worse).

If they just mixed all the good stuff from old and new Word and Open Office, it could be really joy to work with that wink.png

Didnt you have to send your thesis to your promotors etc? Here we do.. and all of them used word.. so no point in writing it in another program... they wouldnt be able to check it anyway...

When we send papers/drafts etc to others... (other people at the lab, other labs) its all in word...because they all use word.. if you use something else... problems..

Well it would be nice of course from Microsoft to add a converter for Openoffice text formats...I guess they're too smug and complacent for that laugh.png  (if they didn't do this in 2010/13, no idea)

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

#17 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,328 posts
Excellent

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:34 AM

Well I hope journal editors have a DTP program even if I send it in Word, yet my thesis is not exactly edited this way wink.png

So for the same reason interchangebility in not an issue for this case (the topic was asking about thesis, otherwise interchangebility is an issue) and it's only important if my editor supports my citation manager plugin.

And, I wrote my master thesis a bit before Word 2007, so I know there are some things better now (and few worse).

If they just mixed all the good stuff from old and new Word and Open Office, it could be really joy to work with that wink.png

Didnt you have to send your thesis to your promotors etc? Here we do.. and all of them used word.. so no point in writing it in another program... they wouldnt be able to check it anyway...

When we send papers/drafts etc to others... (other people at the lab, other labs) its all in word...because they all use word.. if you use something else... problems..

Well it would be nice of course from Microsoft to add a converter for Openoffice text formats...I guess they're too smug and complacent for that laugh.png  (if they didn't do this in 2010/13, no idea)

there are converters out there... but it does not work 100%

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

#18 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,525 posts
Excellent

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:43 AM

okay...and well I've the also converting problems but with doc <-> docx which is IMO quite a shame for MS....wink.png

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

#19 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,328 posts
Excellent

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:48 AM

okay...and well I've the also converting problems but with doc <-> docx which is IMO quite a shame for MS....wink.png

Really?

No I have never had that problem.. thats indeed a shame!

But first time I hear that someone has problems with this kind of converting.

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

#20 OA17

OA17

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:15 PM

Thanks for the answers! ;)

#21 Trof

Trof

Brain on a stick

• Global Moderators
  • 1,199 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:44 AM

I will send my advisor file in Open Office format. I don't care how he opens that ;) (OO is free to dowload and the new MS Office can open .odt)

Anyway I think DTP programs are generaly used after you have complete text. And even if not, there are many ways how to deal with that, PDF comments for example.

Actually it has also some drawback to use Word for sharing. For example not everyone has new versions and there is increase of docx files landing in my email. Older versions had several problems with the new files even with plugin. And MS Office is a payed software. Not all institutions upgraded. Of course I will send Word to someone outside, but preferably in old .doc and as you said, those are just drafts. My work that I need to finalize myself, I would just write in whatever is best for that.

Our country has a serious deficiency in lighthouses. I assume the main reason is that we have no sea.

I never trust anything that can't be doubted.

'Normal' is a dryer setting. - Elizabeth Moon

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.