• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

change media everyday (or every other day) for MTT assay?

Best Answer antitoxin, 29 July 2013 - 08:31 AM

It depends on the estimated number of cells in your culture is the most commonly replaced every 48 hours should be made Otherwise  they are stressed

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 crom80

crom80

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
Neutral

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:45 AM

I am performing an MTT assay and was wondering how others are letting cells grow for long term MTT assays (5-7day period). I seed cells and collect data 0, 1, 2, 3, 5 and 7 days after seeding.
I am currently adding additional media on day 3 for day 5 and 7 period wells as I noticed media evaporating.
Do people usually leave media as is or change everyday or every other day?

Thank you.

#2 aimikins

aimikins

Sunflower

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:11 AM

well, you're using a treatment and at the end you're using MTT to measure cytotoxicity of your treatment, right? (this is what I've used it for)

I replace the media on the same schedule as I always would for that cell type. if it was a one-time treatment, just use regular media. if it's a continuous treatment, just make sure your drug is in the fresh media.

does that help? 

"it is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education" -A.E.

#3 antitoxin

antitoxin

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:31 AM   Best Answer

It depends on the estimated number of cells in your culture is the most commonly replaced every 48 hours should be made Otherwise  they are stressed

#4 crom80

crom80

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:23 PM

well, you're using a treatment and at the end you're using MTT to measure cytotoxicity of your treatment, right? (this is what I've used it for)

I replace the media on the same schedule as I always would for that cell type. if it was a one-time treatment, just use regular media. if it's a continuous treatment, just make sure your drug is in the fresh media.

does that help? 

I am not doing any treatments. I am comparing wild type and Protein of interest over expressed cell growth over time.

My main concern is the evaporation of the wells at the edges and was wondering if I replace media everyday would evaporation be less.

The cells in normal culture is given fresh media twice a week (monday and friday) so I didn't think about giving fresh media every 48 hours.

#5 aimikins

aimikins

Sunflower

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

oh, I'm sorry, I don't think we're talking about the same assay. I apologize for any confusion.

"it is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education" -A.E.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.