• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

tiny white organisms in aged chicken faeces

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 captainCS

captainCS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:28 AM

Hi everyone,

I am working with chicken litter, and as a start, I recently collected some fresh faeces from a broiler shed.
Due to delays, they were in a sealed plastic container for about 3 weeks. I noticed a large number of tiny
white organisms in the faeces, and on the sides congregating in globules of condensation. They are
mobile, as there are tracks in the condensation, and they can be seen slowly moving in the water.
They seem to have cilia and are about 0.1-0.2 mm long with an ovuloid appearance. There is a very
pungent ammonia smell.

Are they protozoa preying on the bacteria?

#2 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
Excellent

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:51 AM

Hi everyone,

I am working with chicken litter, and as a start, I recently collected some fresh faeces from a broiler shed.
Due to delays, they were in a sealed plastic container for about 3 weeks. I noticed a large number of tiny
white organisms in the faeces, and on the sides congregating in globules of condensation. They are
mobile, as there are tracks in the condensation, and they can be seen slowly moving in the water.
They seem to have cilia and are about 0.1-0.2 mm long with an ovuloid appearance. There is a very
pungent ammonia smell.

Are they protozoa preying on the bacteria?

Most likely yes. But hard to tell like this.

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.