• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

questions about PBMCs study

PBMC cytokine proliferation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 joy123

joy123

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Neutral

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:37 AM

Hi, I want to analyze if a stimulant could stimulate immune response from patients' peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs). I have some questions here:

1. How should I testify if the immune response is activated? What parameters should I choose?

2. I see papers test cytokines. So I want to ask how should I choose which cytokines to test?

3. Besides cytoknies, some publications also include Cell proliferation assay. I tried BrdU kit but it doesn't work well. Is cell proliferation assay necessary?

I look forward for your suggestions. THANKS VERY MUCH!Posted Image

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • 5,513 posts
Excellent

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:01 AM

(Warning - I'm not an immunologist, so may give not such good advice here)

Yes, cytokines (e.g. interleukins) would be appropriate to measure, as would T-cell or B-cell activation.

How to choose depends on what you are looking at - bacteria will produce a different response to viruses etc.

Cell proliferation could be a marker, I would go with MTT/MTS assays or a simple cell count (maybe by Flow cytometry) rather than BrdU.

#3 joy123

joy123

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 105 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:36 AM

(Warning - I'm not an immunologist, so may give not such good advice here)

Yes, cytokines (e.g. interleukins) would be appropriate to measure, as would T-cell or B-cell activation.

How to choose depends on what you are looking at - bacteria will produce a different response to viruses etc.

Cell proliferation could be a marker, I would go with MTT/MTS assays or a simple cell count (maybe by Flow cytometry) rather than BrdU.

Thanks! But cell proliferation is not quite realistic for me. Can I skip it? If so, should I do something else to supplement the cytokine analysis?

Edited by joy123, 23 July 2013 - 06:36 AM.

#4 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • 5,513 posts
Excellent

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:38 PM

No idea, sorry. There is bound to be something else that can be done (migration assays perhaps?).

#5 waldomedina

waldomedina

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:23 PM

Hello:
If you want to get the percentage of activated cells you have to know that markers used, for example CD25 and / or CD69 in T cells.
The proliferation assay is also a basic tool: BrdU could be good, I usually use CFSE.
And finally if you want to evaluate cytokines, you have to know what cytokines are involved in the process that you are evaluating.

Good Luck.

Edited by waldomedina, 26 August 2013 - 04:24 PM.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.