• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

G418 mammalian cell selection question

cell culture G418 CMV

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 watsonkatherine

watsonkatherine

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Neutral

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:48 PM

I am using G418 400-600ug/mL to select for my transfected cells. I have used fibroblasts, epithelial and endothelial cells. I had a general question - I am seeing both my transfected (GFP tagged) cells as well as my untransfected cells dying as well as surviving from the selection treatment. I have been selecting for 14 days now.

My question is how are my uninfected mammalian cells able to survive the G418 treatment if mammalian cell do not normally carry the neo-resistant gene? My plasmids that I transfected with do contain this gene.

#2 sssss

sssss

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
Neutral

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:24 PM

Hi,
I have also started working with G418 selection in adherent as well as suspension cells. Are the cells cross contaminated. Have you ever checked the GFP positivity in untransfected cells after this problem. Prepare fresh G418 and check if it works.

#3 leelee

leelee

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts
Excellent

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:00 PM

My question is how are my uninfected mammalian cells able to survive the G418 treatment if mammalian cell do not normally carry the neo-resistant gene? My plasmids that I transfected with do contain this gene.

You are not using a high enough concentration of G418, if your untreated cells are surviving. You need to titrate your G418 stock and find the concentration required to kill your cell line. Then use this concentration for selection of your transfected cells.

#4 pcrman

pcrman

Epigenetist

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts
Excellent

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:06 PM

Different cell types have different LD50 and that is why for a particular cell line, you have to do a killing curve.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.