• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Bought HEK293T cells from ATCC -- passage number question

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lehatat

lehatat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:36 PM

A few months ago, someone accidentally threw away all of my frozen aliquots of HEK 293T cells (yes, it sucked). I use them to produce AAV and lentivirus. Anyway, I bought these from ATCC and they arrived today. The documentation says they are at passage number 17. Passage 17 is already a high passage number for me to attempt a transfection (I like it closer to passage no. 10). I've never purchased a cell line before; I have always gotten them from another lab (my old cells came from another lab with no more info than HEK293T passage number 7). It is normal to buys a cell line and have a higher passage number? Do I start with passage number 1 with purchased cell lines?

Thanks!

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,597 posts
Excellent

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:41 PM

The parent line HEK293 has been around for a long long time and would most have been much higher than p17 when the T addition was made. The problem with passage number is that it is a bit lab dependent as to how it is measured, for instance many labs, when they get a line in, assign it as p0 - so it is likely that your p7 ones were actually much higher passage than 7.

There shouldn't be any problem with transfecting at much much higher passage numbers than you have been using.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.