• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Yet another question about selecting the proper statistical test

biostatistics singlecell

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zazek84

zazek84

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:40 PM

I would greatly appreciate if you could point me out in the right direction. In my experiments I have two conditions: newborn and adult. And from both of them I have 24 samples which value can be positive or negative for the presence of a gene. So I have a discrete variable and I want to know if the frequency of appearance of this gene is different in newborns with respect of adults, but I do not if it´s proper to apply a non parametric test like Ji square. Thanks a lot guys!

Best,

Zazek84

#2 pcrman

pcrman

Epigenetist

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts
Excellent

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:41 PM

Are you sure your observation is yes or no? How can some do not have the gene? If it is discrete variable, Chi-square is appropriate.

#3 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • 2,706 posts
Excellent

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:07 AM

are you looking for presence or expression of the gene?
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#4 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,507 posts
Excellent

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:05 AM

the G-test and Fisher's Exact test are the modern alternatives for Chi-Square and often preferable.
One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

#5 zazek84

zazek84

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:38 AM

Are you sure your observation is yes or no? How can some do not have the gene? If it is discrete variable, Chi-square is appropriate.

Yes, the cells can suppress the expression of a certain gene according to their developmental stage, that is our general hypothesis. Thanks a lot to all for your quick response! It´s of great help!

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.