Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:50 AM
Imagine you're writing a brutally honest letter (your Jerry Maquire letter) to all of the gray haired mentors/professors/PIs who just totally ruined science for you.
I'll start the list, but please continue it.
"I'm quitting research, because....
1) ...you can't use Excel.
2) ...you prefer blatantly fraudulent data that supports the simplistic cartoon you drew 30 years ago.
3) ...you convinced me to spend 6 years learning technical skills a high school drop-out can learn.
4) ...you apply for translational research grants.
5) ...you automatically trust the opinion of someone with a high impact paper.
6) ...you refuse to retire.
7) ...you never correct/retract papers you know are horribly flawed.
8) ...you are taking so much public money and wasting it.
9) ...spending any more time in academia will make me unemployable.
10) ...there are too many PhDs being trained and too few permanent positions.
11) ...being the best at what I do will not get me a permanent position.
Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:29 PM
One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.