• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

which one is better (1) Affymetrix microarrays (2) Illumina Expression BeadChips

microarray

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chaghaleh

chaghaleh

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Neutral

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:21 AM

which one is better ?
(1) Affymetrix microarrays
(2) Illumina Expression BeadChips
(3) Agilent Expression New!

#2 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,742 posts
Excellent

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:08 AM

whichever one suits your needs (and depending on the instrument you have or budget for an instrument)

i will say that affymetrix microarrays and agilent microarrays (not just expression) fill a similar niche.

i'm not familiar with illumina expression beadchips (we have an illumina instrument in another lab but they are using it for immunoassays (i think)).
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#3 Winegarden

Winegarden

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Neutral

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:06 AM

Which one is better a Honda or Toyota? A lot of it is personal preference.

If you are studying an organism such as human or mouse that is on all three platforms, then you really are okay with any of them (depending on application - are you talking gene expression, SNPs, methylation?). One might be more cost effective than the other. Also they are sold in different formats. Depending on your service provider - you may have to provide groups of 12 samples to use Illumina arrays, groups of 4 or 8 to use Agilent arrays but any number of Affy arrays will work. However, the Illumina arrays might be cheaper per sample.

Talk to your service provider. We support all three platforms and they all provide excellent data as long as the experiment was well designed.

#4 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • 2,742 posts
Excellent

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:01 AM

agilent arrays come in one, two, four and eight samples per slide. you are not limited to four or eight.

(and i drive a subaru)
talent does what it can
genius does what it must

#5 Winegarden

Winegarden

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Neutral

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:23 AM

Sorry I'm showing my human/mouse centric research bias. For expression those arrays tend to be 4/8 up. But yes you are correct there are Agilent arrays in 1-up and 2-up format of course. Similarly Illumina come in 4, 6 and 12 up depending on application.

#6 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • 707 posts
Excellent

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:25 PM

However, I heard Agilent is not dedicated or good for SNPs... not sure how true it is...

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#7 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • 2,742 posts
Excellent

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:12 AM

However, I heard Agilent is not dedicated or good for SNPs... not sure how true it is...

agilent offers hybrid cgh-snp microarrays with ~60k or ~120k snps (depending on configuration). i haven't used them so i can't say that they are any good but if they are of similar quality and usefulness to agilents other microarrays then they should work well.

talent does what it can
genius does what it must

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.