• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

autoclaving tubes for DNA extraction

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lyok

lyok

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:21 AM

Dear all,

Does anyone here autoclave (eppendorf) tubes when you want to collect DNA in them?

Most people at the lab where I work autoclave them by putting them in a glass jar. But does steam penetrate the glass? The tubes are dry, in a glass jar... So I dont see how it can effectivly autoclave them.

+ is it really needed to autoclave them? Are those tubes normally not DNA free?
I suppose you also need to by dnase free tubes? Or you just buy regular tubes?

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • 5,603 posts
Excellent

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:34 AM

I use them straight out of the bag, but we buy RNase/DNase etc free tubes. Autoclaving for sterilization does not work unless the steam can penetrate the vessel - so if the jar doesn't have a loose lid, all that is happening is that it is being heated which won't damage DNA much.

Autoclaving also has the added "bonus" of carrying stuff in the steam, including DNA and nucleases....

#3 lyok

lyok

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 206 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:50 AM

I use them straight out of the bag, but we buy RNase/DNase etc free tubes. Autoclaving for sterilization does not work unless the steam can penetrate the vessel - so if the jar doesn't have a loose lid, all that is happening is that it is being heated which won't damage DNA much.

Autoclaving also has the added "bonus" of carrying stuff in the steam, including DNA and nucleases....

Yes this was my point: you have to open the lid or use aluminum foil to cover a beaker or something.
+ you can indeed make the tubes more dirty.
So I find it weird they still autoclave them.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.