• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Mix of Milk, BSA, Casein for membrane blocking

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Krikezz

Krikezz

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Neutral

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:32 AM

Hello,

What do you think of washing membranes with a mix of Milk, BSA, Casein instead of only one of them ? This would block more sites so why not doing it ?

Thank's

#2 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts
Excellent

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:39 AM

since the sites are binding non-specifically, mixing the three may just increase the concentration of blocking agent (depending on how you prepare the mixture), not fill specific sites. there will probably not be any benefit greater than just increasing the concentration of blocking agent.

on the other hand, casein and milk may cause problems if you are probing for phosphorylated proteins. milk may be a problem if you are probing for biotinylated targets.
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#3 Krikezz

Krikezz

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:24 AM

By phosphoprotein you mean posphorylated protein ? Because it's exactly what I'm doing, why shouldn't I use milk if my antibody is specific to a phosphorylated protein ?

#4 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts
Excellent

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:35 AM

milk contains casein. casein is a highly phosphorylated protein.

although there are exceptions, antibodies to phosphorylated sites will bind to casein, resulting in a very high background.

unless you know, with certainty, that your antibody doesn't bind to casein (or any other phosphorylated proteins which may be in milk), it is safer to not use milk or casein to block.

Edited by mdfenko, 29 May 2013 - 06:39 AM.

talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.