• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Question about pipet tips for PCR and rtPCR

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 clwaldru

clwaldru

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:18 AM

Hi,

We have been using the Fisher Sure One tips for doing our PCR's and rt PCR reactions. This summer there are going to be quite a bit of students in our lab working on PCR. In the past we have isolated RNA from our samples and then kept it in the -80 degree freezer, and thawed the sample when we needed some.
This summer we are planning on extracting the RNA, converting all to cDNA and freezing this. I understand that with RNA we need to use the RNase free pipet tips like the Sure Ones. However, once we are using cDNA is this necessary or can we use the general lab stock pipet tips?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
Excellent

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:31 PM

You want DNase free tips in that case, lab stock tips may not be DNase free, especially if you are racking them yourself.

#3 memari

memari

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 148 posts
Good

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:41 PM

I call this a Obsession.
-----
Babak Memari

#4 clwaldru

clwaldru

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:22 AM

Thanks Bob1 and Memari. I thought that we would still need this as in the past we have used the DNase free tips for everything but I just wanted to make sure. Those tips are more expensive than the general stock tips but in the long run if we had to repeat experiments due to DNA contamination, it wouldn't be a cost savings.

Chris

#5 pcrman

pcrman

Epigenetist

• Global Moderators
  • 1,165 posts
Excellent

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:55 PM

Once RNA is converted to cDNA, using Aerosol-Resistant Tips for PCR is very important to avoid cross contamination.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.