• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

SDS page of acid soluble collagen

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gopals88

gopals88

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:28 AM

I am using a acid soluble collagen from bovine source..I am running a 7% resolving gel to separate my protein. I am facing an issue with collagen solubility and neutralization. I have tried several procedure yet I find it difficult to get a band. Any suggestions...Thank you

By
Shankar

#2 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts
Excellent

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:39 AM

can you tell us more about what you tried?

have you tried denaturing with sds and not neutralizing (or neutralizing only until the bromphenol blue turns blue again)?
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#3 gopals88

gopals88

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:59 PM

with me I have a bovine collagen....as I have it in a powdered form, I solubilize my collagen using 0.5 M acetic acid...then I neutralize it and heat my samples at 95 degrees for 10 mins and then I run my samples...yet I do not get a band...any possible suggestions or reasons..

By
Shankar

#4 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • 708 posts
Excellent

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:32 AM

I guess after you had neutralized your acetic acid, the collagen precipitated?
Maybe you try to use urea/thiourea buffer with CHAPS?
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#5 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • 2,758 posts
Excellent

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:14 AM

0.5M is a high concentration of acetic acid to use for solubilization. sigma recommends using water adjusted to pH 3 with acetic acid to prepare 5mg/ml collagen (will give you an opalescent, colorless solution).

worthington suggests 0.075M sodium citrate buffer, pH 4.3-4.5, to prepare 6mg/ml collagen. (both from calf skin).

you can take an aliquot from one of these, add sds loading buffer, then neutralize with tris base until the solution turns blue, boil and load onto the gel.
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.