Jump to content

  • Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

BLAST is giving me a result totally unrelated to the gene I expect


  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Procyon

Procyon

    member

  • Active Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
1
Neutral

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:09 PM

Hello,

After I obtained the results from sequencing, I proceeded to curate the sequences and identifying (with Vector NTI) the primers I used in the sequence. The primers, although are degenerated, were found with no mismatches.

The problem is that when I blast the squence using BLASTn or BLASTX, the results are malate synthase, a gene/protein that I totally didn't expected and totally unrelated to the gene I'm interesed. These results were like 13 of the 20 sequences while 5 were of the gene I was expecting.

Please tell me what went wrong. I'm a bit desperate. I used a clone library with pGEM and chemocompetent DH5-alpha.

#2 bob1

bob1

    Thelymitra pulchella

  • Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,726 posts
399
Excellent

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:28 PM

What were the BLAST scores?

#3 Procyon

Procyon

    member

  • Active Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
1
Neutral

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:44 AM

For the malate synthase:

 

Select seq gb|CP001874.1|

 

Select seq gb|CP000613.2|

 

Select seq gb|CP003382.1|

 

 

For Roseiflexus hypothetic protein

 

Select seq gb|CP000686.1|

 

Select seq gb|CP000804.1|

 

Unless I discovered the Sox system in a Chloroflexi member, I don't know why does this hapen.


Edited by Procyon, 14 February 2014 - 11:45 AM.


#4 Trof

Trof

    Brain on a stick

  • Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts
109
Excellent

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:52 PM

You said primers were degenerated, how much?

 

And, you seem to be "fishing" for some unknown gene, maybe you degerated primers so much, they only caught something very different. 

 

You probably won't find any mismatch in primers, when only certain sequence of degenerates binded the target. It's unclear if you knew the exact sequence of the primer binding site of your gene, but probably not, because you woudn't use degenerate primers then.

 

I think generaly checking specifity of degerate primers is difficult, when you degenerate more than one base for example. I wouldn't consider it that much impossible to amplify something else than you wanted, with such primers.


Our country has a serious deficiency in lighthouses. I assume the main reason is that we have no sea.

I never trust anything that can't be doubted.

'Normal' is a dryer setting. - Elizabeth Moon





Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.