• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Plasmid isolation from gram positive bacteria

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 2xzwei

2xzwei

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Neutral

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:17 AM

Hi there!

Currently I'm struggling with the isolation of a plasmid from Enterococcus faecalis (gram positive bacteria). In a first run I tried it by following the standard protocol for plasmid extraction (Qiagen kit) but I didn't yield any plasmid. So I read about the addition of Lysostaphin which should crack the murein layer (0.5mg/mL 10µL per 250µL suspension) and incubated it for 45min @37°C. But this didn't help, too :(

Now I tried the addition of Lysozyme (in Tris-HCl buffer pH 8) to the suspension buffer (100µL of 10mg/mL Lysozyme stock) and incubated 30min @37°C. But all I got was some smear on my agarose gel and no plasmid...

Does anyone of you have further suggestions how to successfully isolate plasmid from gram positive bacteria (esp. E. faecalis)? I read about methods with heat-lysing (heating to 80°C for a while) but I couldn't find any protocol for that...

Thanks in advance for your help!

PS: Yes the plasmid is inside, otherwise it wouldn't grow on my antibiotic agar.

#2 phage434

phage434

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,268 posts
Excellent

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:27 PM

Often gram positive strains will integrate plasmids into the genome. If that happened, you'll have trouble isolating it.

#3 2xzwei

2xzwei

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Neutral

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:10 AM

I finally got it work. The Lysozyme I initially used was old. Ordered a new one and repeated the isolation process and it worked quite fine.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.