• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

How to estimate the protein expression level from the SDS_PAGE?

expression level protein

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 crusoe

crusoe

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Neutral

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:32 PM

Hi All,
I want to prospect the protein expression level from the little scale cell culture, and then accord the level to scale up.
But I can't estimate well. Does anyone have some suggestion? Or how to estimate it more exactly?
Thanks!
Crusoe

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,738 posts
Excellent

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:57 AM

You can do quantitation on the western blots, but the problem is that it is a very difficult technique to do accurately as exposure times and band intensities are critical for this to work.

#3 doxorubicin

doxorubicin

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 192 posts
Good

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:06 AM

Make a standard curve: Purify the protein you are trying to produce, measure the concentration (OD280), and then load known quantities next to your culture sample.

#4 crusoe

crusoe

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:05 PM

You can do quantitation on the western blots, but the problem is that it is a very difficult technique to do accurately as exposure times and band intensities are critical for this to work.

Thank you for your suggestion.

#5 crusoe

crusoe

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:11 PM

Make a standard curve: Purify the protein you are trying to produce, measure the concentration (OD280), and then load known quantities next to your culture sample.

Thanks! Can I load another concentration know protein like BSA to make a comprare?

#6 HOYAJM

HOYAJM

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 159 posts
Good

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:25 PM

BSA is the most common. See if you have a standard set, if not it is not hard to just make your own. To make the standard curve you do a range of BSA concentrations and add bradford reagent and measure the A595. You can then plot these values to generate a line. y = mx + b can then be used to calculate the concentration of your unknown.

http://www.ars.usda....in/bradford.pdf here is an example

#7 crusoe

crusoe

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:46 PM

BSA is the most common. See if you have a standard set, if not it is not hard to just make your own. To make the standard curve you do a range of BSA concentrations and add bradford reagent and measure the A595. You can then plot these values to generate a line. y = mx + b can then be used to calculate the concentration of your unknown.

http://www.ars.usda..../bradford.pdf here is an example

Thanks.

#8 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • 2,788 posts
Excellent

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:29 AM

although bsa is the most common protein standard, it is not always the best for coomassie unless your protein of interest is similar.

bsa gives readings ~2X those of other gravimetrically prepared proteins (eg bovine gamma globulin).

if you are trying to evaluate a stained gel (rather than a blot) then you can scan the lane and get a rough approximation of each band from their percent of the total (if you know how much you loaded in the lane).
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#9 crusoe

crusoe

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Neutral

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:56 PM

although bsa is the most common protein standard, it is not always the best for coomassie unless your protein of interest is similar.

bsa gives readings ~2X those of other gravimetrically prepared proteins (eg bovine gamma globulin).

if you are trying to evaluate a stained gel (rather than a blot) then you can scan the lane and get a rough approximation of each band from their percent of the total (if you know how much you loaded in the lane).

Thank you very much!It's helpful to me.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.