• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

How to make gradient gel (10-20%), how to control the speed of flow?

Gradient gel

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 savetld

savetld

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:19 PM

I wanna to make 10-20% tris-tricine gradient gel myself. But how to control the speed of flow to make perfect gradient gel? Thanks.

#2 doxorubicin

doxorubicin

Veteran

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Good

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:39 AM

For a standard gradient gel former: Flow rate out of the mixing chamber will determine flow rate between the two chambers (low % and high %). Just make sure that maximal possible flow rate between the two chambers is greater than the maximal possible flow rate out of the mixing chamber. Start with equal volumes and mix in the mixing chamber with a stir bar.

#3 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • 2,710 posts
Excellent

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:43 AM

we use the flow controller (flowcock? see the image) from intravenous apparatus (without the drip bubble). some others use a peristaltic pump.

just make sure that the gel doesn't polymerize before the pour is completed and that the pour speed does not overrun the gradient mixing.

Posted Image

Edited by mdfenko, 22 March 2013 - 04:44 AM.

talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#4 savetld

savetld

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:18 AM

we use the flow controller (flowcock? see the image) from intravenous apparatus (without the drip bubble). some others use a peristaltic pump.

just make sure that the gel doesn't polymerize before the pour is completed and that the pour speed does not overrun the gradient mixing.

Posted Image

Thanks. But what u mean "pour speed does not overrun the gradient mixing". Last time I do the gradient gel just directly connecting the mixer and the casting chamber. This time I plan to try peristaltic pump, but which speed I could use and how to control the strength of string bar, I mean usually I just use very gentle magnetic strength to stir the bar in the mixer, or I should use stronger?

#5 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • 2,710 posts
Excellent

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:45 AM

if you pour too fast then the solutions won't mix completely. the stirrer should be fast enough to ensure thorough mixing without aerating and/or foaming the solution. you may have to adjust the stirring speed as the gel pours.

i like to pour the gel at a speed where it finishes pouring in about 20 minutes. that way i don't overrun the mixing and the gel won't polymerize in the gradient apparatus.
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gradient gel

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.