• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Is there anyone who's working with Callosobruchus Maculatus?

Callasobruchus Culture Bean Beetle

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Honghu

Honghu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:46 PM

Is there anyone who's working with Callosobruchus Maculatus? I'm having trouble culturing Callosobruchus. They always die.

Can anyone tell me your successful culture conditions, such as temperature, humidity, the way you collect embryos and maintain the population?

#2 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,522 posts
Excellent

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:50 AM

So far I never reared them but successful culture methods are available online: http://www.beanbeetl...rg/handbook/#CT
Anyway the reasons for a unsuccessful rearing can be a lot: inbreeding, wrong food, contaminated food (pesticides), wrong environmental conditions, diseases, etc. Also several reasons can act together of course. Especially the contaminated food is an often overlooked and serious problem when you don't have access to "clean" products, as insecticides have sometimes surprisingly long persistence times and some products (depending on origin) also high loads...

Edited by hobglobin, 22 March 2013 - 07:09 AM.

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

#3 Honghu

Honghu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:14 PM

Thanks! We are using the organic black eye peas right now, so I guess the food is not an issue. Although I'm doubting this may result from the high humidity (more than 60%) at 30 degree incubator. I'll do an experiment to figure out next week.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.