• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Fast/easy way to measure cell size

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Vassil

Vassil

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

Dear Bioforum members,

I am looking for a technique and a protocol (or just the reference) that will show changes in cell size. I know this could be done using flow cytometry, but am just curious if there are other options out there and whether they are easier and faster to perform. My cells undergo cell cycle arrest upon treatment, so I'll have to control for that too:

Thank you.

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,516 posts
Excellent

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

If you have largely discrete cells or a monolayer with holes and you know the number of cells seeded you could use imageJ to work out the area covered and divide by the number of cells.

#3 Vassil

Vassil

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Neutral

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

Thanks, bob1. I'll look into this. I can simply count the cells from a plate cultured and treated in parallel, I guess. However, I'll have to control for dividing cells, since I am trying to prove that a compound blocks macromolecule synthesis and, as a consequence, the cell cycle, rather than the other way around - block of cell proliferation, so no need of doubling of the size. Thanks for your answer.

#4 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,516 posts
Excellent

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:27 PM

For cell cycle - do FACS with PI staining, it will tell you the proportion of cells in which phase of the cell cycle...

#5 Vassil

Vassil

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Neutral

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:32 PM

Yeah, thanks. That's what I think is the best way to proceed in this situation. Thanks again.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.