• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Difference between first author and co-first author

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 science noob

science noob

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:35 PM

Whats the difference in workload/contribution between 1st author and co-first author?

Does it matter who comes first? (I think the first co-first author gets cited instead of co-1, co-2 et al 2013).

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • 5,722 posts
Excellent

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:42 AM

Technically co-authors are all the authors on the paper. Some papers specify if more than one author has put in an equal contribution.(e.g. author X*, author Y* author Z. *-these authors contributed equally to this work).

Usually the citation will be the first author only, but it depends on the citation style you use.

#3 science noob

science noob

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 279 posts
Excellent

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

Technically co-authors are all the authors on the paper. Some papers specify if more than one author has put in an equal contribution.(e.g. author X*, author Y* author Z. *-these authors contributed equally to this work).

Usually the citation will be the first author only, but it depends on the citation style you use.

but in most citation styles, the equal contributors dont get cited at all (e.g. X et al 2013 instead of X, Y, Z et al 2013)

#4 Tabaluga

Tabaluga

Making glass out of shards

• Active Members
  • 392 posts
Excellent

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

Just curious, is a first authorship then "worth more" than a shared first authorship ?

Il dort. Quoique le sort fût pour lui bien étrange,
Il vivait. Il mourut quand il n'eut plus son ange;
La chose simplement d'elle-même arriva,
Comme la nuit se fait lorsque le jour s'en va.

#5 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,332 posts
Excellent

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

Just curious, is a first authorship then "worth more" than a shared first authorship ?

If papers are quoted, its always the first author that will get the quote... So even if they have a shared first authorship, in the end its the first one that gets his name in the quotes.

The first on are always the ones people remember ... (with the last one, but those are just remembered because they allready established their name)

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

#6 Tabaluga

Tabaluga

Making glass out of shards

• Active Members
  • 392 posts
Excellent

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

OK. But in terms of what it's worth if you apply somewhere ? Will a shared first authorship be considered of equal value as a normal first authorship ? Probably not, I think...

Il dort. Quoique le sort fût pour lui bien étrange,
Il vivait. Il mourut quand il n'eut plus son ange;
La chose simplement d'elle-même arriva,
Comme la nuit se fait lorsque le jour s'en va.

#7 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,531 posts
Excellent

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

sure every paper and even short communication or abstract in proceedings is important for your CV, even if only second, third or 20th author...in my CV I always write my name in bold in the list with such stuff
One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.