• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

isoelctric gels hard to stain?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 joy123

joy123

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Neutral

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:31 AM

Hi, I have been experiencing problems staining a commercial isoelectric focusing gel.

I followed the staining method recommended by company: fix in 12% trichloroacetic acid+3.5% sulfosalicylic acid for 30min, and stain with 0.1% coomassie R250 in 40% methonal and 10% acetic acid.

One paper used just 20% trichloroacetic acid to visualize the bands. Another paper used 0.1% coomassie R250 in 20% TCA (destain with 20% TCA).

It seems that my staining method was similar with theirs. I don't understand why I don't get the bands. Please let me know if you have suggestions. Thanks a lot!

#2 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • 2,785 posts
Excellent

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:52 AM

how completely do you destain your gel (how is the background)?

ampholytes will interfere with staining so, if you are not using an immobilized pH gradient, you have to wash them out prior to staining (hence the tca-sulfosalisylic acid fixation step).

you may still have too little protein to detect with coomassie. have you tried silver staining?
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#3 joy123

joy123

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 105 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:10 AM

Thanks for your response!
The background was very faint after destaining.
Indeed, the articles used more sample than I did. I think maybe silver staining would be a good try.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.