• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

THP-1 DC differentiation

THP-1 Dendritic Cells

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Hal

Hal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

Hello all, my current experiments involve using THP-1 cells that have been differentiated into immature dendritic cells. According to the literature, this is done by incubation of the cells for, from what I can tell, a minimum of 5 days in 100ng/mL GM-CSF and IL-4, replacing the media every 2 days.

Following this, we attempted stimulation of the cells with LPS (14.5umol/mL) and the results were poor. The cells did not respond the way an iDC should respond to LPS stimulation; we saw only a modest amount of TNFa after 48 hours and no IL-12p70.

I'm currently trying to trouble shoot the experiment. The cells were (and continue) to grow suitably, though at only half the rate at which ATCC says they will. The only thing I can think of that may have affected the differentiation was the handling of the cytokines; the GM-CSF and IL-4, after being diluted in media, were filtered through a 0.2um filter. I'd thought this wouldn't affect the cytokines, but perhaps I was wrong. Any thoughts?

For reference, here is the complete media we're using, not including the GM-CSF and IL-4:

1. RPMI 1640
2. 0.05mM β-2-Mercaptoethanol
3. 10% Fetal Bovine Serum
4. 1mM Sodium Pyruvate
5. 1X Pen-Strep (100IU/mL Pen, 100ug/mL Strep)
6. 2 mM L-Glutamine

Our freezing media is 90% FBS and 10% DMSO; we have ~85% viability after thawing.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.