• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Literature quote guessing game

• Please log in to reply
2278 replies to this topic

#961 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,522 posts
Excellent

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:52 PM

and to continue, here a brain teaser which is not English and older than 19th century:

"I assure you, my dear friend, when my thoughts are all in tumult, the sight of such a creature as this tranquillises my disturbed mind. She moves in a happy thoughtlessness within the confined circle of her existence; she supplies her wants from day to day; and, when she sees the leaves fall, they raise no other idea in her mind than that winter is approaching."
One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

#962 casandra

casandra

carpe diem by the jugulum

• Global Moderators
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:35 PM

then the The Screwtape Letters as it's satire Posted Image and well perhaps I should read it later when I've time (in several years Posted Image )

ppfftt...I'm pretty sure you would enjoy it (as an unbeliever...:lol:)
"Oh what a beauteousness!"
- hobglobin, personal comment about my beauteous photo......

#963 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:39 PM

and to continue, here a brain teaser which is not English and older than 19th century:

"I assure you, my dear friend, when my thoughts are all in tumult, the sight of such a creature as this tranquillises my disturbed mind. She moves in a happy thoughtlessness within the confined circle of her existence; she supplies her wants from day to day; and, when she sees the leaves fall, they raise no other idea in her mind than that winter is approaching."

older than 19th century (from the beginning of the written word)? ppfftt..that's a long timeline...so I would start with the 18th century- Paul et Virginie by de Saint-Pierre..a wild guess....:lol:

#964 hobglobin

hobglobin

• Global Moderators
  • 5,522 posts
Excellent

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:42 PM

the time is good the rest not Posted Image so you have to continue with wild guessing Posted Image
One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

#965 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:47 PM

the time is good the rest not Posted Image so you have to continue with wild guessing Posted Image

is it a more philosophical or realistic fiction? How about Voltaire's Candide...his cousin (love interest) who was kidnapped and whom he rescued?

#966 hobglobin

hobglobin

• Global Moderators
  • 5,522 posts
Excellent

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:49 PM

is it a more philosophical or realistic fiction? How about Voltaire's Candide...his cousin (love interest) who was kidnapped and whom he rescued?

it's fiction and nothing philosophical, though surely with some substance...and not French Posted Image

#967 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:57 PM

it's fiction and nothing philosophical, though surely with some substance...and not French Posted Image

not french? and I was gonna give you a list of french works...:lol: then it would have to be German...from one of ETA Hoffman's works?

#968 hobglobin

hobglobin

• Global Moderators
  • 5,522 posts
Excellent

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:04 PM

not french? and I was gonna give you a list of french works...Posted Image then it would have to be German...from one of ETA Hoffman's works?

why german? Posted Image and not Hofmann...Posted Image

#969 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:11 PM

not french? and I was gonna give you a list of french works...Posted Image then it would have to be German...from one of ETA Hoffman's works?

So it is German :lol: and isn't it obvious? What's the probability that you would quote spanish or italian masterpiece? I was gonna ask if it's scandinavian or german and went first with the German...is it from one of those 'enlightened' writers eg Nicolai etc

#970 hobglobin

hobglobin

• Global Moderators
  • 5,522 posts
Excellent

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:14 PM

So it is German Posted Image and isn't it obvious? What's the probability that you would quote spanish or italian masterpiece? I was gonna ask if it's scandinavian or german and went first with the German...is it from one of those 'enlightened' writers eg Nicolai etc

could be Russian, Italian, Spanish, and yes Scandinavian or even Chinese Posted Image anyway not Nicolai...anyway this dude had a conflict with the author about that work Posted Image

#971 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:20 PM

So it is German Posted Image and isn't it obvious? What's the probability that you would quote spanish or italian masterpiece? I was gonna ask if it's scandinavian or german and went first with the German...is it from one of those 'enlightened' writers eg Nicolai etc

could be Russian, Italian, Spanish, and yes Scandinavian or even Chinese Posted Image anyway not Nicolai...anyway this dude had a conflict with the author about that work Posted Image

but I'm thinking more about probabilities....Posted Image ...is it Tieck? On second thoughts...it's gotta be Goethe's The Sorrows of Young Werther...bec he started a literary war with Nikolai (who wrote the satirical The Joys of Young Werther as response to Goethe's novel) and this pissed him off greatly until the day he died...:lol:

Edited by casandra, 02 March 2013 - 03:30 PM.

#972 Tabaluga

Tabaluga

Making glass out of shards

• Active Members
  • 365 posts
Excellent

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:07 AM

Werther sounds like a good choice. Unfortunately I have restricted (and superslow) internet access today, so won't be able to drop by very often today...

Il dort. Quoique le sort fût pour lui bien étrange,
Il vivait. Il mourut quand il n'eut plus son ange;
La chose simplement d'elle-même arriva,
Comme la nuit se fait lorsque le jour s'en va.

#973 hobglobin

hobglobin

• Global Moderators
  • 5,522 posts
Excellent

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:53 AM

and yes it's Goethe's Werther, Nicolai wrote another version without the "mawkishness" he found in that novel (he might be right Posted Image ) and a happy ending, and Goethe wrote then a satirical poem as answer...
anyway your turn Mlle C..sorry for not seeing your change and yes I might need a coffee more Posted Image

Edited by hobglobin, 03 March 2013 - 05:11 AM.

#974 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:00 AM

and yes it's Goethe's Werther, Nicolai wrote another version without the "mawkishness" he found in that novel (he might be right Posted Image ) and a happy ending, and Goethe wrote then a satirical poem as answer...
anyway your turn tabs

and why is it Tabs turn? Read again my reply before hers....:D...are you still sleepy, dr H?

#975 hobglobin

hobglobin

• Global Moderators
  • 5,522 posts
Excellent

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:26 AM

anyway your turn tabs

and why is it Tabs turn? Read again my reply before hers....Posted Image...are you still sleepy, dr H?

my caffeine titre is too low...it's your turn Mlle C Posted Image

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.