• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Literature quote guessing game

• Please log in to reply
2278 replies to this topic

#841 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,519 posts
Excellent

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:02 PM

are you fishing for more informations? Gogol is also 19th century and the Mother I don't know...and btw my last reply was full of hints Posted Image (not only the prototype)
One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

#842 casandra

casandra

carpe diem by the jugulum

• Global Moderators
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

are you fishing for more informations? Gogol is also 19th century and the Mother I don't know...and btw my last reply was full of hints Posted Image (not only the prototype)

:lol: my bad...I meant Gorky not Gogol...is it from any of Gorky's stories?
"Oh what a beauteousness!"
- hobglobin, personal comment about my beauteous photo......

#843 hobglobin

hobglobin

• Global Moderators
  • 5,519 posts
Excellent

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

Posted Image my bad...I meant Gorky not Gogol...is it from any of Gorky's stories?

no and read carefully my post before the last and you know it...and the story contains a lot of topics that are very up to date again (transparency, privacy protection or the missing of this) and this should be enough Posted Image
One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

#844 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

Posted Image my bad...I meant Gorky not Gogol...is it from any of Gorky's stories?

no and read carefully my post before the last and you know it...and the story contains a lot of topics that are very up to date again (transparency, privacy protection or the missing of this) and this should be enough Posted Image

the missing of what? how bout Bunin?

#845 hobglobin

hobglobin

• Global Moderators
  • 5,519 posts
Excellent

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

No and the missing of privacy...it has a very short title, which I mentioned in one of my earlier posts several times Posted Image

#846 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

No and the missing of privacy...it has a very short title, which I mentioned in one of my earlier posts several times Posted Image

I would be so mad at you if it's from Nabokov's The Eye.....is it? :lol:

#847 hobglobin

hobglobin

• Global Moderators
  • 5,519 posts
Excellent

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

still no, not Nabokov and the title is shorter and mentioned earlier in one of my posts several times Posted Image

#848 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

still no, not Nabokov and the title is shorter and mentioned earlier in one of my posts several times Posted Image

ok..how about Zamyatin's We? With biblical allusions and stuff... Never read it but it took some time to find it out....

#849 hobglobin

hobglobin

• Global Moderators
  • 5,519 posts
Excellent

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

ok..how about Zamyatin's We? With biblical allusions and stuff... Never read it but it took some time to find it out....

yes finally Posted Image ...it's such an important novel and e.g 1984 is unthinkable without this work as it's one of the first dystopian novels. And it has many topics that are still or again very important such as people that have to fit their life to maximum industrial efficiency, total transparency of the citizens without any privacy (transparent buildings, total control), which is reflected in the view in the girl's eye (he thinks first that she's not an individual but an empty number), Anyway this meeting leads to a forbidden relationship and later to a rebellion that destroys the system).

#850 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

yes finally Posted Image ...it's such an important novel and e.g 1984 is unthinkable without this work as it's one of the first dystopian novels. And it has many topics that are still or again very important such as people that have to fit their life to maximum industrial efficiency, total transparency of the citizens without any privacy (transparent buildings, total control), which is reflected in the view in the girl's eye (he thinks first that she's not an individual but an empty number), Anyway this meeting leads to a forbidden relationship and later to a rebellion that destroys the system).

omg...but the most important clue- dystopia, you omitted...and actually, you were very misleading with your clues...Posted Image...so shld we say bye to this thread already?

Parting is such a sweet sorrow....(Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet) Posted Image

Edited by casandra, 23 February 2013 - 03:16 PM.

#851 hobglobin

hobglobin

• Global Moderators
  • 5,519 posts
Excellent

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

omg...but the most important clue- dystopia, you omitted...and actually, you were very misleading with your clues...Posted Image...so shld we say bye to this thread already? Parting is such a sweet sorrow....Posted Image

then you'd have solved it after five minutes and all my hints were correct and this time I used your clue-regime Posted Image
anyway we can stop then as with two people it's kind of useless...and I guess we had many of the authors all people know and read and several others which are not that everywhere known Posted Image

I don’t care if it’s a sad good-bye or a bad good-bye, but when I leave a place I like to know I’m leaving it. If you don’t you feel even worse. (Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye, an author we forgot Posted Image )

Edited by hobglobin, 23 February 2013 - 03:20 PM.

#852 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

omg...but the most important clue- dystopia, you omitted...and actually, you were very misleading with your clues...Posted Image...so shld we say bye to this thread already? Parting is such a sweet sorrow....Posted Image

then you'd have solved it after five minutes and all my hints were correct and this time I used your clue-regime Posted Image
anyway we can stop then as with two people it's kind of useless...and I guess we had many of the authors all people know and read and several others which are not that everywhere known Posted Image

but if I haven't read it, then it's very hard to guess...your quote doesn't give any indication at all...:lol:...let us just post some goodbye quotes then...:lol:

Parting is such a sweet sorrow....(Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet) :lol:

#853 hobglobin

hobglobin

• Global Moderators
  • 5,519 posts
Excellent

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

but if I haven't read it, then it's very hard to guess...your quote doesn't give any indication at all...Posted Image...let us just post some goodbye quotes then...Posted Image

I did (see above and sure the quote gave a few good hints if you know the text...if not the quote anyway cannot give hints Posted Image )

#854 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

but if I haven't read it, then it's very hard to guess...your quote doesn't give any indication at all...Posted Image...let us just post some goodbye quotes then...Posted Image

I did (see above and sure the quote gave a few good hints if you know the text...if not the quote anyway cannot give hints Posted Image )

ppfftt.....you see what you did.....now I have to find this darn novella and read it....:D

#855 Tabaluga

Tabaluga

Making glass out of shards

• Active Members
  • 365 posts
Excellent

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:31 PM

Hey, what's all that talk about stopping this thread ??? Posted Image Nooooo...
I'm back now anyway.... in my opinion it can run further, and who knows maybe even bob1 will join in some time.

Il dort. Quoique le sort fût pour lui bien étrange,
Il vivait. Il mourut quand il n'eut plus son ange;
La chose simplement d'elle-même arriva,
Comme la nuit se fait lorsque le jour s'en va.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.