• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Literature quote guessing game

• Please log in to reply
2278 replies to this topic

#46 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,465 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:15 AM

Dickens - A Tale of two cities ?
Hugo - Notre Dame de Paris ?

(Actually, I don't have a clue....)

still wrong...notice the ! in the first hint Posted Image
One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

#47 casandra

casandra

carpe diem by the jugulum

• Global Moderators
  • 5,033 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:16 AM

what does this mean- that it's not a text? Is it fiction or non-fiction? :D you shld give better clues like bob did (though I know Peake, I never read his Gormenghast books...:P)...
"Oh what a beauteousness!"
- hobglobin, personal comment about my beauteous photo......

#48 hobglobin

hobglobin

• Global Moderators
  • 5,465 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:19 AM

what does this mean- that it's not a text? Is it fiction or non-fiction? Posted Image you shld give better clues like bob did (though I know Peake, I never read his Gormenghast books...Posted Image)...

that sounds already better...Posted Image and the Gormenghast is really great, especially the first. Also a spoilt but nice young woman occurs Posted Image
One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

#49 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • 5,242 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

OK a hint then: This author was at his peake in the 1940's and 50's.

was it a deliberate typo and you chose Mervyn Peake with Gormenghast? (if I remember right, the young weird dude who messes up the castle rituals and life is described in this way, but I forgot his name)

Yes, deliberate typo- Steerpike is the character's name. I think it is a classic of gothic and fantasy literature, but was worried that it was a bit too recent for the majority to consider it a classic. It is one of my favourites for the fabulous descriptive writing and internally coherent yet completely strange world.

#50 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,033 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

OK a hint then: This author was at his peake in the 1940's and 50's.

was it a deliberate typo and you chose Mervyn Peake with Gormenghast? (if I remember right, the young weird dude who messes up the castle rituals and life is described in this way, but I forgot his name)

Yes, deliberate typo- Steerpike is the character's name. I think it is a classic of gothic and fantasy literature, but was worried that it was a bit too recent for the majority to consider it a classic. It is one of my favourites for the fabulous descriptive writing and internally coherent yet completely strange world.

then this series will be added to my ever-expanding list of must read books before I die....:P

#51 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,033 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

what does this mean- that it's not a text? Is it fiction or non-fiction? Posted Image you shld give better clues like bob did (though I know Peake, I never read his Gormenghast books...Posted Image)...

that sounds already better...Posted Image and the Gormenghast is really great, especially the first. Also a spoilt but nice young woman occurs Posted Image

I'm betting it's not fiction then but what? semi-autobiographical material? or politically instructional treatises? It's not Machiavelli's eh? He talked more about kingdoms and conquests of nations...(not really- if you're strong then swim to the island and if you can't swim that far then drown in the sea...)...:D

#52 hobglobin

hobglobin

• Global Moderators
  • 5,465 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

I'm betting it's not fiction then but what? semi-autobiographical material? or politically instructional treatises? It's not Machiavelli's eh? He talked more about kingdoms and conquests of nations...(not really- if you're strong then swim to the island and if you can't swim that far then drown in the sea...)...Posted Image

well are there not so many classical non-fiction works in the 19th century a biologist has knowledge about Posted Image and BTW Machiavelli is a tiny bit earlier Posted Image

#53 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • 5,242 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

well are there not so many classical non-fiction works in the 19th century a biologist has knowledge about Posted Image and BTW Machiavelli is a tiny bit earlier Posted Image

Has to be Darwin then - probably "On the Origin of Species" as "The Voyage of the Beagle" is too nautical.

#54 hobglobin

hobglobin

• Global Moderators
  • 5,465 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

Has to be Darwin then - probably "On the Origin of Species" as "The Voyage of the Beagle" is too nautical.

YES finally...I guess one of the few sentences that sounded like fiction if put out of context Posted Image

#55 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,033 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

omg...your hint, dr H was too late (or bob was just too fast Posted Image..it's Darwin, right?) I was thinking of lit about eugenics but I wonder if there are any in the 19th century...
and now it's bob's turn again....and please not a tricky one...:D

Edited by casandra, 21 January 2013 - 12:29 PM.

#56 Tabaluga

Tabaluga

And we're back to square one

• Active Members
  • 315 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

Hi people!
Just realized I'm very bad at guessing quotes (or taking up hints !!! Posted Image ).... but nonetheless, let's see which quote bob1's got for us now Posted Image !!

Il dort. Quoique le sort fût pour lui bien étrange,
Il vivait. Il mourut quand il n'eut plus son ange;
La chose simplement d'elle-même arriva,
Comme la nuit se fait lorsque le jour s'en va.

#57 hobglobin

hobglobin

• Global Moderators
  • 5,465 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

Hi people!
Just realized I'm very bad at guessing quotes (or taking up hints !!! Posted Image ).... but nonetheless, let's see which quote bob1's got for us now Posted Image !!

and we have the problem that we red it in German Posted Image
and Mlle C is too slow
(and I still have one quote open to ask for) Posted Image

#58 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • 5,242 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

OK, a relatively obscure one:

On the floor, and hanging on to the bar, squatted an old man, immobile as an object. His years had reduced and polished him as water does a stone or the generations of men do a sentence.

#59 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,033 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

Hi people!

and we have the problem that we red it in German Posted Image
and Mlle C is too slow
(and I still have one quote open to ask for) Posted Image

well, I have the time zone advantage if bob posts later...:lol:....and yup, you still have one more quote dr H...

#60 hobglobin

hobglobin

• Global Moderators
  • 5,465 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

OK, a relatively obscure one:

On the floor, and hanging on to the bar, squatted an old man, immobile as an object. His years had reduced and polished him as water does a stone or the generations of men do a sentence.

old man in bar? my first guess is Charles Bukowski (no idea what story)?? Posted Image

Edited by hobglobin, 21 January 2013 - 01:03 PM.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.