• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Literature quote guessing game

• Please log in to reply
2278 replies to this topic

#1801 casandra

casandra

carpe diem by the jugulum

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:36 PM

:lol:..you're nitpicking again dr H...the quote doesn't seem like it's from The Art of War......but yup, perhaps from The Prince...or my initial guess "On War" :D
"Oh what a beauteousness!"
- hobglobin, personal comment about my beauteous photo......

#1802 vetticus3

vetticus3

Princess

• Active Members
  • 144 posts
Neutral

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:49 PM

hobs is right!
its the prince, machiavelli.

surprisingly good, short, book.
your turn.

#1803 KirithSoldier

KirithSoldier

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Neutral

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:06 AM

Yea I just can't commit :P It was survivor

#1804 jerryshelly1

jerryshelly1

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 328 posts
Excellent

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:53 AM

I am going to try this.

"She was turned into a pillar of salt. So it goes."

#1805 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,506 posts
Excellent

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:10 AM

and I try this:

“Yes I suppose so.“ he said finally for at heart he was a kindly man. “Quite mad. Between ourselves, Sergeant, anyone who is prepared to teach the sort of bloodyminded young thugs we get can’t be entirely sane. And only last week he got into an altercation with one of the Printers and was punched in the face. I think that may have had something to do with his subsequent behaviour.

English, 20th century
One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

#1806 vetticus3

vetticus3

Princess

• Active Members
  • 144 posts
Neutral

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:45 AM

gridlock by ben elton?

#1807 hobglobin

hobglobin

• Global Moderators
  • 5,506 posts
Excellent

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:48 AM

no but the direction is good...
One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

#1808 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:14 PM

I don't know Gridlock so this would be a wild guess: Michael Shaara's The Killer Angels (set during the American civil war and there was a sargeant there...:lol:)

#1809 hobglobin

hobglobin

• Global Moderators
  • 5,506 posts
Excellent

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:17 PM

sure you didn't mean a surgeon? Posted Image anyway no....V3 was much closer with time (plot), location and genre (that is: satire)....

#1810 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:24 PM

sure you didn't mean a surgeon? Posted Image anyway no....V3 was much closer with time (plot), location and genre (that is: satire)....

ppfftt...so now I have to google Gridlock to get the clues about the time, plot and location..that's hard work...:lol:..ok if satire, then from one of Dorothy Parker's works?

#1811 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:28 PM

I am going to try this.

"She was turned into a pillar of salt. So it goes."

This is Kurt Vonnegut's very famous quote from Slaughterhouse Five (every time someone dies....) ok, the she who turned to salt was Lot's wife during the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah....
and btw, we usually post a quote if we guessed the previous quote correctly...but welcome to the Lit quote thread anyhow...the more the merrier...Posted Image

Edited by casandra, 19 June 2013 - 12:32 PM.

#1812 hobglobin

hobglobin

• Global Moderators
  • 5,506 posts
Excellent

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:31 PM

I had to do it too Posted Image and the book surely not belongs to the canonical works of world literature, but it's funny, describes the society and it flaws at this time well...therefore not Parker....that author was later and wrote more popular fiction (also usable for films)

#1813 vetticus3

vetticus3

Princess

• Active Members
  • 144 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:56 AM

Woohoo!! I was close. Ben Elton is a fine author... rather funny in a British way.
ok, so perhaps.... This is going to be my running thought process:

Last human by Doug Naylor... Red Dwarf was based on his work, but that book was within the universe but outside the series... There were captains in red dwarf, but i'm not sure there was a sergeant
or...
something by Tom Sharpe... He passed away a few weeks ago. I think there were a few movie and tv shows based on his books (Wilt and Porterhouse). Wilt is probably the most well known... but that would be a bit obvious. I know there was an escape involving a plastic doll.
or...
Stephen Fry... Making History? That was supposed to be good and it involved ww2, there must have been a sergeant in there.

There are too many modern satire books. So, there's a sergeant... and a printer. i have no idea on which books involved a punch-up at the printers. If it's a bout of fistycuffs at the printers, then it would be a police sergeant, and not a soldier sergeant. If so, then that would cross out Fry, and possibly Naylor. So it's something by Sharpe. So either Wilt or Porthouse.

#1814 hobglobin

hobglobin

• Global Moderators
  • 5,506 posts
Excellent

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:20 AM

yes V3 is tight again (and close enough). It's Wilt by Sharpe...a biting satire about a lecturer teaching literature to nasty construction apprentices at a college...when being drunk on a decadent party of nouveau riches he's tied to a sex doll....later he tries to get rid of it and at the same time his wife is on a boat trip and unavailable...so a kind of funny crime story develops as finally the police thinks the doll is his wife he got rid of in a pit now full of concrete... all indications show that he's guilty and all find reasons that such a harmless and under-rated lecturer is insane enough to have done it (the quotes refers to it)....
your turn V3

#1815 vetticus3

vetticus3

Princess

• Active Members
  • 144 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:09 AM

i've never read it...i'm planning on reading the stephen fry novel... been recomended by too many people.

ok, something modern and popular. originally english....
I'm going to keep going until I suceed - or die. Don't think I don't know how this might end.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.