• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Do you outsource experiments? If so, which?

cloning protein production genome-wide microarrays dna sequencing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 doxorubicin

doxorubicin

Veteran

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Good

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:13 AM

There was a time when any self-respecting biochemist would manually sequence his/her own plasmids, and now we think nothing of sending a 96-well plate of DNA out for sequencing. What other experiments/methods do you outsource?

#2 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,522 posts
Excellent

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:54 AM

I'd not call this experiments but routine work.
Other stuff is primer/oligo synthesis.
One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

#3 leelee

leelee

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 652 posts
Excellent

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

There are lots of things that people in labs used to have to do for themselves, but can now pay for. I agree with hobglobin, I don't think what you are describing is outsourcing experiments though. DNA sequencing isn't an experiment.

To add one to the list:
antibody production and labelling (I either purchase commercially available antibodies, or send my hybridoma to have them make some antibody up for me)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cloning, protein production, genome-wide microarrays, dna sequencing

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.