• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Restriction Enzymes

Re Cloning

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Pangea

Pangea

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
Neutral

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

Is it possible to get the genes of the general used Restriction Enzymes from NCBI?

#2 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts
Excellent

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

Is it possible to get the genes of the general used Restriction Enzymes from NCBI?

Not sure I understand your question.

Are you wondering whether you can get genes (gene sequences) that code for restriction enzymes from NCBI?
NCBI stores information, its not some sort of warehouse filled with genes.

Or you mean you can get the sequences of the genes tht code for restriction enzymes from someone?

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

#3 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • 5,709 posts
Excellent

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

To add to that comment from Pito, if you think it will be cheaper to produce and purify your own RE's, you are most likely incorrect, the bulk size that the companies can prduce them at cuts costs dramatically compared to lab scale purification.

#4 Pangea

Pangea

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
Neutral

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:56 AM

Ok , lets say i want gene sequence of an RE from IMAGE consortium. And produce my own RE in E.coli. I am no considering the cost and sso on.. . Question is if its practcally possible in the LAB.

#5 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,332 posts
Excellent

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:00 AM

Ok , lets say i want gene sequence of an RE from IMAGE consortium. And produce my own RE in E.coli. I am no considering the cost and sso on.. . Question is if its practcally possible in the LAB.

sure.

Its possible but not practical Posted Image

You simply need the DNA sequence of the restriction enzym with the promoter etc... there is no reason that it would not work, but if you have to collect the enzyme/purify it etc.. it will take a lot of time, money ...

BTW: check this topic http://www.protocol-...ing-polymerase/
its not about a RE , but the same goes for you. Altough, your would be harder to collect/purify

Edited by pito, 08 January 2013 - 02:04 AM.

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.