• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Postdoc application

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#16 toejam

toejam

Guitar Hero

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Good

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

woohoo I'm shortlisted for a postdoc, never thought they'd reply :lol:
"When there's no more room in hell the dead will walk the Earth"

#17 pcrman

pcrman

Epigenetist

• Global Moderators
  • 1,165 posts
Excellent

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:13 PM

Usually no reply means no interest by the employer. It does not hurt to follow up by sending another email just in case your email did not reach the recipient or the recipient forgot to reply. For postdoc application, initial contact with CV and Cover letter are enough. If the employer is interested in you, he or she will request references or interview. I don't like reference letters sent directly from the candidates.

#18 Curtis

Curtis

Metaller Scientist

• Global Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
Excellent

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:35 AM

woohoo I'm shortlisted for a postdoc, never thought they'd reply Posted Image

congrats and good luck!

#19 toejam

toejam

Guitar Hero

• Active Members
  • 159 posts
Good

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:20 AM

thanks Curtis :) just had the interview over skype, i'll let you know what happens.

#20 casandra

casandra

carpe diem by the jugulum

• Global Moderators
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

thanks Curtis Posted Image just had the interview over skype, i'll let you know what happens.

hey tjcito...we're keeping our fingers crossed for you....is the job on our side of the pond or over on the other side....:lol:...goodluck hombre....

Edited by casandra, 04 March 2013 - 12:16 PM.

"Oh what a beauteousness!"
- hobglobin, personal comment about my beauteous photo......

#21 toejam

toejam

Guitar Hero

• Active Members
  • 159 posts
Good

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:01 PM

hey cas, thanks! how you doing? the postdoc position is back in the old world...

#22 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:16 PM

hey cas, thanks! how you doing? the postdoc position is back in the old world...

you really like it over there eh? :) Anyways....buena suerte....

#23 toejam

toejam

Guitar Hero

• Active Members
  • 159 posts
Good

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

yeah, it's alright ;) cheers my dear lass

#24 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

yeah, it's alright Posted Image cheers my dear lass

and to you too, my dear sire....:lol:

perhaps you can post here some of the questions that you were asked during the interview? We probably need a thread where people who've gone through an interview can post the questions they were asked, the questions they asked, give a few tips and guidelines...the possible pitfalls etc.....or a plain overview of the whole process...this would be very helpful to a lot of people I think...

#25 toejam

toejam

Guitar Hero

• Active Members
  • 159 posts
Good

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:52 PM

I agree with you Cas. I also think it could be potentially helpful to other people appying for postdocs. I had another interview for the dark side. Completely different.

Basically, in academia there were three people that I would be working with in the same room. They asked me to give them a presentation about the work I had done, I guess they wanted to see the "scientific" thinking I achieved (if any :lol;). During the presentation and also afterwards there were questions about the work presented. After the presentation-related stuff was done, they started asking questions about technical stuff regarding the position itself, e.g. the techniques I'm familiar with and also testing whether my knowledge is convenient for the position. I believe one of the main focuses was whether I had conducted other people's research. I'd say another of the main concerns of the interviewers is to assess whether the candidate is able to perform independent research. Of course, they don't want another PhD student ;)

They also asked if I have experience working in a multicultural environment. To be honest I would say I didn't do too bad, but I didn't do great either. It was the first online interview I've ever had. All of them were friendly and the questions were always clear. One thing I do during interviews is try to be as honest as I possibly can. If they ask something and I don't know it, I don't really see the point in trying to make something up. Besides, I would like to think there is no person in the world that knows everything :)

Anyway, I hope this helps other members of Bioforum :) and as I normally finish first emails "Should you require any further information please do not hesitate in contacting me" ;)

Cheers guys!

tj, phd :lol:

#26 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:21 AM

I agree with you Cas. I also think it could be potentially helpful to other people appying for postdocs. I had another interview for the dark side. Completely different.

Basically, in academia there were three people that I would be working with in the same room. They asked me to give them a presentation about the work I had done, I guess they wanted to see the "scientific" thinking I achieved (if any :lol;). During the presentation and also afterwards there were questions about the work presented. After the presentation-related stuff was done, they started asking questions about technical stuff regarding the position itself, e.g. the techniques I'm familiar with and also testing whether my knowledge is convenient for the position. I believe one of the main focuses was whether I had conducted other people's research. I'd say another of the main concerns of the interviewers is to assess whether the candidate is able to perform independent research. Of course, they don't want another PhD student Posted Image

They also asked if I have experience working in a multicultural environment. To be honest I would say I didn't do too bad, but I didn't do great either. It was the first online interview I've ever had. All of them were friendly and the questions were always clear. One thing I do during interviews is try to be as honest as I possibly can. If they ask something and I don't know it, I don't really see the point in trying to make something up. Besides, I would like to think there is no person in the world that knows everything Posted Image

Anyway, I hope this helps other members of Bioforum Posted Image and as I normally finish first emails "Should you require any further information please do not hesitate in contacting me" Posted Image

Cheers guys!

tj, phd Posted Image

Will there be a second round (next phase) or was that it? Did they ask about your salary expectations? Posted Image

Edited by casandra, 05 March 2013 - 02:55 PM.

#27 toejam

toejam

Guitar Hero

• Active Members
  • 159 posts
Good

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:54 AM

The post announcing the postdoc already said the salary expectations. They said they'd contact me later to tell me the final decision, whether I am or not chosen Posted Image

#28 toejam

toejam

Guitar Hero

• Active Members
  • 159 posts
Good

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:45 PM

so... I didn't get it.

#29 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,320 posts
Excellent

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:34 PM

so... I didn't get it.

They explained why? or they just let you know you didnt get it without explaining it?

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

#30 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,522 posts
Excellent

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:13 AM

bad luck TJ...anyway it's normal and you'll find something sooner or later...and better try to find a job in a company...university is usually a dead-end
One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.