• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

Shoutbox notifications appear randomly

shoutbox

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tabaluga

Tabaluga

Making glass out of shards

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
Excellent

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

Hey, just wanted to report that at least for me, the red Shoutbox notification with the number in it appears at random. Nothing new in the shoutbox for some days but this red box sometimes pops up with "1","2" or "3" messages. Conversely, it never did pop up when somebody actually wrote a new message in the shoutbox.

Not that important but maybe it can be fixed...

Il dort. Quoique le sort fût pour lui bien étrange,
Il vivait. Il mourut quand il n'eut plus son ange;
La chose simplement d'elle-même arriva,
Comme la nuit se fait lorsque le jour s'en va.

#2 casandra

casandra

carpe diem by the jugulum

• Global Moderators
  • 5,035 posts
Excellent

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

Hey Tabs.....actually, we did raise this same issue (or rather speculated about it- respectfully, of course :)) when we just upgraded to this new skin but we never really got a straight answer....so let us just appreciate this randomly popping red box of mysterious numbers....:D
"Oh what a beauteousness!"
- hobglobin, personal comment about my beauteous photo......

#3 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,545 posts
Excellent

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

Off topic: The new Quotes section needs a clean-up, some posted tech-thread questions there and I'm not sure if Chinabioer posted a real quote but just propaganda (didn't find the quote anywhere else too).

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

That is....if she posts at all.

#4 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,035 posts
Excellent

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

plus 2 Bioconductor Interest Groups.....

#5 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • 5,827 posts
Excellent

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

Off topic: The new Quotes section needs a clean-up, some posted tech-thread questions there and I'm not sure if Chinabioer posted a real quote but just propaganda (didn't find the quote anywhere else too).

I think given the context that the quote posters (besides Chinabioer) who posted tech thread stuff intended it as a quote for the day. I can't find the quote by Chinabioer either but it is more or less correct and probably no more paraphrased than some of the others.

#6 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,035 posts
Excellent

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

I think given the context that the quote posters (besides Chinabioer) who posted tech thread stuff intended it as a quote for the day.

well, perhaps yes, but the tech query (to which you replied btw) just seems out of place in this quote section and the quotes are regularly shown and 'permanently' rotated so this particular one kinda sticks out......but I guess if you guys say it's ok, then it's fine ;)

#7 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,545 posts
Excellent

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:38 AM

I agree with casandra, for me these posts/quotes make no sense but are accidentally, though I wonder how you can accidentally post there...
And the Chinese quote may a paraphrased quote, but is a political quote with a nationalistic connotation desired here?

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

That is....if she posts at all.

#8 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • 5,827 posts
Excellent

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

I think given the context that the quote posters (besides Chinabioer) who posted tech thread stuff intended it as a quote for the day.

well, perhaps yes, but the tech query (to which you replied btw) just seems out of place in this quote section and the quotes are regularly shown and 'permanently' rotated so this particular one kinda sticks out......but I guess if you guys say it's ok, then it's fine Posted Image

Yeah, I did reply and the guy was a little non-plussed that I didn't expand my answers - it was in a homework section and he had made no effort to show any thought...
I don't know that it is OK, but Bioforum hasn't made any comment about it. I can post in the moderators lounge and see what people think.

And the Chinese quote may a paraphrased quote, but is a political quote with a nationalistic connotation desired here?

I don't know, I will raise this with the other mods and see how we go.

*Puts on moderators hat*
As a note - if you have concerns about anything on this site, please PM me, one of the other mods, or the Great Panda himself, or use the report function and we should be able to deal with it pretty quickly. Questions like the above are certainly not out of place and things that we as a site should be considering. Your input is most welcome.
*removes hat*

#9 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,035 posts
Excellent

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

*Puts on moderators hat*
As a note - if you have concerns about anything on this site, please PM me, one of the other mods, or the Great Panda himself, or use the report function and we should be able to deal with it pretty quickly. Questions like the above are certainly not out of place and things that we as a site should be considering. Your input is most welcome.
*removes hat*

Is this a subtle, gentle rebuke, I mean, a reminder to us? ;) Sorry if we didn't bring you (or the other mods) these issues directly, bob1...I guess it was just a matter of an opportunity cropping up...Tabaluga started something in this subforum, I replied to her and then one thing led to another....and oftentimes it's just easier to post our queries or implied suggestions here (cos some of us may feel hesistant in 'disturbing' the mods and esp the Great Panda himself for certain matters).

Furthermore, a more public posting can start off a discussion in which other members might be interested to participate (instead of a closed door talk only among the mods and admin staff). A case in point- political statements which some might consider propaganda. I posted my share of them (serious or otherwise) but goodluck in trying to dig them out from the bottomless pit.. :P. But this new quote section that bioforum set up is different though- there are only very few quotes and they are constantly/permanently shown that's why it's pretty obvious if something's amiss. Anyways, in the end, we are just voicing our opinions and you guys of course should decide what is best for the forum...and I know I know- public consultation is not necessary cos this here is a benevolent dictatorship...(Bioforum rocks!!!) :lol: and thanks for replying bob1....

#10 Tabaluga

Tabaluga

Making glass out of shards

• Active Members
  • 401 posts
Excellent

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:43 AM

Here's a more serious issue about the quote of the day: The quote is not shown for a day (at least when I visit bioforum, it changes more often within the same day) Posted Image Posted Image
btw, I would also be hesitant to disturb a mod or the Panda because of a matter like the shoutbox notifications, because I don't think it's that important...

Il dort. Quoique le sort fût pour lui bien étrange,
Il vivait. Il mourut quand il n'eut plus son ange;
La chose simplement d'elle-même arriva,
Comme la nuit se fait lorsque le jour s'en va.

#11 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • 5,827 posts
Excellent

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

*Puts on moderators hat*
*removes hat*

Is this a subtle, gentle rebuke, I mean, a reminder to us? Posted Image Sorry if we didn't bring you (or the other mods) these issues directly, bob1...I guess it was just a matter of an opportunity cropping up...Tabaluga started something in this subforum, I replied to her and then one thing led to another....and oftentimes it's just easier to post our queries or implied suggestions here (cos some of us may feel hesistant in 'disturbing' the mods and esp the Great Panda himself for certain matters).

Furthermore, a more public posting can start off a discussion in which other members might be interested to participate (instead of a closed door talk only among the mods and admin staff). A case in point- political statements which some might consider propaganda. I posted my share of them (serious or otherwise) but goodluck in trying to dig them out from the bottomless pit.. Posted Image. But this new quote section that bioforum set up is different though- there are only very few quotes and they are constantly/permanently shown that's why it's pretty obvious if something's amiss. Anyways, in the end, we are just voicing our opinions and you guys of course should decide what is best for the forum...and I know I know- public consultation is not necessary cos this here is a benevolent dictatorship...(Bioforum rocks!!!) Posted Image and thanks for replying bob1....

I wasn't intending it as a rebuke at all, just a reminder for posters in general who might be reading threads about problems they are having with the forumPosted Image. Don't worry about disturbing me with your questions/comments, I enjoy the Bioforum experience and am a great procrastinator (shhh, don't tell my supervisor!). The reason I said to pm one of us is so that we don't miss these sorts of things in our perusal of the forum.

You are quite correct that a public posting can raise discussion on a topic that wouldn't otherwise get seen. Political commentary isn't out of place in the forum in general, though it seems to be largely restricted to a few threads in the chit-chat area. I guess the openness of the quotes section makes politically charged comments a bit more obvious and possibly inappropriate. I have opened a thread in the mod's lounge about this, and I see that you and Dr H. can participate there too, which is good; the more heads thinking about an issue, the better.

Here's a more serious issue about the quote of the day: The quote is not shown for a day (at least when I visit bioforum, it changes more often within the same day) Posted Image Posted Image
btw, I would also be hesitant to disturb a mod or the Panda because of a matter like the shoutbox notifications, because I don't think it's that important...

I think the quotes stay there until someone puts up a new one, hence the changing more or less frequently than once a day. Perhaps a name change for the section might be appropriate.
The shoutbox notifications sort of thing is probably only fixable at the server end of things, so it will come down to the Panda in the end. He keeps a pretty close eye on things, and has fixed stuff in the past relating to these sorts of issues, so it may be that he is unaware or can't fix it himself.

#12 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,035 posts
Excellent

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

I have opened a thread in the mod's lounge about this, and I see that you and Dr H. can participate there too, which is good; the more heads thinking about an issue, the better.

Wow......thanks bob .....I am suddenly feeling better now cos my feelings were hurt earlier Posted Image (you'd realise to what I'm referring if you read my first post in the mod lounge.)

I think the quotes stay there until someone puts up a new one, hence the changing more or less frequently than once a day. Perhaps a name change for the section might be appropriate.
The shoutbox notifications sort of thing is probably only fixable at the server end of things, so it will come down to the Panda in the end. He keeps a pretty close eye on things, and has fixed stuff in the past relating to these sorts of issues, so it may be that he is unaware or can't fix it himself.

Actually, a new quote (from the list) appears everytime you refresh the screen that's why depending on your activity in the forum, it's possible that you can go through all the quotes in one sitting....and the red mysterious numbers have kinda grown on us already....Posted Image

Edited by casandra, 08 January 2013 - 12:45 PM.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.