• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Antibodies against protein complex

Is it poosible to raise?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 neuron

neuron

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:26 PM

Is it possible to raise antibodies against multiple protein complex? I was wondering what would happen if we inject a protein complex in rabbit/mice...will it make antibodies?

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • 5,614 posts
Excellent

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:31 AM

It should produce Abs, but the problem will be that some parts will be more antigenic than others and hence the antiserum might not be as useful as you would suspect.

#3 Chelo

Chelo

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
Neutral

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:15 AM

Neuron,

if you immunize with a complex of proteins you will raise a polyclonal response. Given that some epitopes are immuno-dominant compared to others, most probably the result will be that you get antibodies to only a few of the proteins of your complex. I have done this several times with that results; there is also publications confirming this results. Hope this helps!

#4 neuron

neuron

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 187 posts
Neutral

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:03 AM

Thanks bob and chelo. Even same thing was coming in my mind also, but I was just thinking..suppose you raise antibodies with a complex, and you know the identity of the proteins of that complex. Then after collecting the sera, one can purify the specific antibody by using the protein or peptide affinity columnPosted Image ..is it possible?...I may be wrong..I am not at all an immunologistPosted Image ...I was reading a paper, this idea came into my mind and I just thought to discuss it with expertsPosted Image. Chelo can you share the link for the publication you mentioned?

#5 neuron

neuron

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 187 posts
Neutral

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:02 AM

Chelo dint come back, somebody else please share some links or papers that mention about immunization with protein complex. I am really interested to find out if somebody has done it. whenever I search for the papers I only get purification of multiprotein complex. As chelo mentioned that publications are there, I tried but couldn't find them.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.