• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Biotinylated primers

Pyrosequencing Methylation Epigenetics Sequencing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Swongel

Swongel

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Neutral

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:48 AM

Hi everyone,

In preparation for a methylation analysis using pyrosequencing, I have designed forward and reverse primers. My forward primer will be biotinylated. Now, I understand that I also have to design a sequencing primer. My question is, will it not be possible to use my reverse primer as a sequencing primer rather than design a new primer for sequencing?

Would be great to get your comments on this.

Many thanks,

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts
Excellent

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

I think it should be OK, but it will be a lot more expensive to use than a regular primer. I don't know how the biotinylation will affect migration in the sequencing capillary though.

#3 gonca

gonca

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:33 AM

Hi, sorry I dont have idea regarding the answer of your question but I have a question to you. I will start a similar study and would like to ask how you designed your primers and how are they gonna be biotinylated? what sort of analysis you plan to do? I would appreciate your reply. Thanks

#4 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts
Excellent

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

You can buy biotinylated primers from most of the large providers. Primers can be designed manually, but there are many free programs/websites that offer primer design. The best known of these are Primer3 and Primer-Blast at the NCBI.

#5 ForEpi

ForEpi

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts
Neutral

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:21 AM

It's best to use nested sequencing primers for pyrosequencing as you will increase the specificity of your assay (remember you're only dealing with 3 instead of 4 bases).

Bram
I believe in the power of Selenium!!

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.