• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

role of water in PCR

PCR water

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Shrubal

Shrubal

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Neutral

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:00 AM

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone could explain the specific role of water in a PCR reaction. I was wondering if the addition of water could be completely eliminated and instead compensated by adding more template if I had a very low concentration of template.

Thanks!

#2 Trof

Trof

Brain on a stick

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts
Excellent

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

Depends whether you have your template disolved in water or in yogurt.

Our country has a serious deficiency in lighthouses. I assume the main reason is that we have no sea.

I never trust anything that can't be doubted.

'Normal' is a dryer setting. - Elizabeth Moon

#3 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,531 posts
Excellent

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

Water is the solvent you use to get the final concentrations of the reagents in the desired volume...if you use more diluted DNA or other reagents (Mg2+, primers, buffer) you might end up that you don't need to add any additional water, but that's by chance then, as you cannot change their volume (except DNA often-times).
Anyway there's no need to add additional water as the water can come from any other source, but surely it's much easier to use it to get the desired volume.

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

That is....if she posts at all.

#4 mightymus

mightymus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:27 AM

Even I was having the same problem of low tempet.Try to evoporate the solvent (water or any buffer your dna is suspended) by heating the tube at around 55-60 C and increase the concentration of your dna. I did it a couple of times and it worked perfectly for my qpcr (:. By this way you retain the same final volume as you used to do before.

PS: make sure that the cap is open when heating ;)

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.