• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Storing Bacterial Culture

bacteria culture storage

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 iLiketoTae

iLiketoTae

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:54 AM

I have my recombinant bacterial sample stored on agar plates. I didn't realize that condensed water had built up on the bottom, so when I flipped it, some of the water mixed with my colonies. Are they still good? Should I restreak them? And for restreaking, do I grow them in a liquid culture then plate them? or can I streak straight from a colony?

Edited by iLiketoTae, 05 December 2012 - 04:56 AM.

#2 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
Excellent

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:47 PM

I have my recombinant bacterial sample stored on agar plates. I didn't realize that condensed water had built up on the bottom, so when I flipped it, some of the water mixed with my colonies. Are they still good? Should I restreak them? And for restreaking, do I grow them in a liquid culture then plate them? or can I streak straight from a colony?

The water itself is from the plates, so there should not really be any contamination.
But you do need to restreak them anyway, you cant store them for too long like that.
(you cant "store" your samples like that... you can keep them for a while , but not "store" them, if you know what I mean...)
To really store them you need to make a glycerolstock for example/

And just restreak them on a new plate. Pick a colony, restreak it. Best you pick a few colonies, streak a few colonies on a few plates.
(for 1 plate, 1 colony)

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.