• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Comparison of methods to evaluate ligand binding and glycan identification

Biacore Parallel-plate flow microfluidic chip glycan identification ligand binding

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 shashwati

shashwati

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:41 PM

Hi all,
I am a new research PG student at the University of Hong Kong, and have just begun my research project, which is investigating Lewis antigens in ovarian cancer.
The project hasn't yet attained a concrete direction yet, but part of it will involve evaluating the binding between Lewis antigens found on the surface of ovarian cancer cells and selectins. However, I am tasked with evaluating three different methods of doing this, none of which I am particularly familiar with-
1. Parallel-plate flow chamber
2. Biacore
3. Microfluidic chip

In particular, I am unable to find comparisons of these methods, that would tell me what their advantages and disadvantages are, compared to each other. Most things I find describe only one method, and are rather (understandably) biased towards it, as that is the angle of the paper.

Could anyone here describe these methods to me in simpler word than are generally used in scientific papers, and/or refer me to some useful reading resources regarding these, and give me some insight as to how these methods compare for the purposes described?

Secondly, I have also been asked to recommend a method to identify the glycans on the Lewis antigens I will be working with, and my supervisor prefers IP and mass spec. Could someone inform me of the options in this case and the merits of the methods?

(Additionally - some simple reading about Lewis antigens, and selectins in the peritoneum would be highly appreciated too.)

Thanks a lot,
--
Shashwati Kala

Edited by shashwati, 29 November 2012 - 09:04 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Biacore, Parallel-plate flow, microfluidic chip, glycan identification, ligand binding

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.