• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Porportion methylation of bisulfite DNA changes with time?

bisulfite DNA store porportion

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Leon Liu

Leon Liu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:13 AM

Hello, everyone,

I'm new here and interested in DNA methylation regulation. I use the EZ methylation kit to do treatment of bisufite, and then I stored my treated DNA at -80oC. Do someone have an idea that whether the proportion of methylation in bisulfited DNA will change with longterm conservation or frequent temperature changes (thawing for experiment)??? And have you tested it ? (I wonder the strand which contains uracil, it maybe unstable, so it's easy to break?)

Thans a lot !

Leon

Edited by Leon Liu, 21 November 2012 - 05:51 AM.

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,721 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

The methylations shouldn't be removed, but the integrity of the DNA and hence the dectection of the methylation by bisulphite PCR may be affected by freeze/thaw. Storage frozen at -80 should be enough to prevent degradation with time.

#3 Leon Liu

Leon Liu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

The methylations shouldn't be removed, but the integrity of the DNA and hence the dectection of the methylation by bisulphite PCR may be affected by freeze/thaw. Storage frozen at -80 should be enough to prevent degradation with time.

Thank you for your answer, so you mean that for the bisulfited DNA, the strands which contain uracils, and others which contain cytosines (methylated), the stability for these two strands are the same???

For example, I've a bisuflted DNA which is already known that it's 50% methylated by sequencing, and then I stored this bisulfited DNA (the same one which is sequenced) at -80 for about several weeks, and I re-send this bisulfited DNA to sequence, you think it'll still be 50% methylated???

Waiting for your answers...Thank you so much!

Edited by Leon Liu, 21 November 2012 - 01:10 PM.

#4 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,721 posts
Excellent

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

I think it should be still methylated, but I'm no expert...

#5 Leon Liu

Leon Liu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:10 AM

I think it should be still methylated, but I'm no expert...

Thank you !

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bisulfite DNA, store, porportion

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.