• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

viability/integrity stain of fungal cells

viability staining Fungi

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 El Crazy Xabi

El Crazy Xabi

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Excellent

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

Hi guys,

Do you know about stainings that could be used to evaluate the cell integrity or viability of fungal cells in bright field or fluorescence microscope?

Thanks!!

#2 El Crazy Xabi

El Crazy Xabi

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 199 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:50 PM

In case that somebody may be interested, now or in the future, I found some stains that can be used as vital stains for fungi:
  • Fluorescein diacetate (FDA)/Propidium iodide (PI): live cells show green fluorescence, dead ones are bright blue. Calcein-AM is a better alternative than FDA as it stays longer inside the live cells. BCECF is also better than FDA.
  • Trypan blue, methylene blue, methylene violet: Trypan blue gives better results. Methylene blue usually overestimates viable counts when viability is <95%.
  • Neutral red, another clasical dye can be used as vital fluorescent stain but I didn't find much about.
Now looking for a protocol for FDA/PI staining (luckily both are in the lab so...).

Edited by El Crazy Xabi, 14 November 2012 - 09:52 PM.

#3 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • 5,830 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:12 PM

I was going to suggest trypan blue, but wasn't sure that it would get past the cell wall.

Note - fluorescene is usually green and PI is usually red, so I don't see how you get the blue stain above, unless you are using DAPI instead of PI.

Neutral red is a viable uptake dye, it is red, so should be visible with light microscopy, though individual cells may not be particularly brightly stained.

#4 El Crazy Xabi

El Crazy Xabi

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 199 posts
Excellent

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:51 PM

Yeah, I know. Most of this techniques are common for other type of cell but the cell wall... it took me a while to find cites about using this on fungi.

That's true, PI is bright red not blue, I mix up the notes while copying Posted Image

I don't know if I can get trypan blue, but we have PI and FDA in the lab so I'm trying to find a protocol for dual staining but I couldn't find any yet.

PD: PI/FDA and neutral red can be used with plant cells too, even given the cell wall and such...

#5 El Crazy Xabi

El Crazy Xabi

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 199 posts
Excellent

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

Tested the FDA/PI and works pretty well... the red maybe a little bit weak but... it's sooo pretty!!! Posted Image

#6 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • 5,830 posts
Excellent

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:47 PM

Yeah, that should look good. I like fluorescene, but it does fade quickly.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.