• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

separate plant protoplast from bacteria‏ prior DNA extraction

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 iratxe

iratxe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:33 AM

Hi all

My work is focused on microbes-plant interaction using metagenomics. I have extracted DNA from Leaves and fruits and around 95% of the sequences i obtained were from the choroplast and mitochondria from the plant, and actually i am interested in the bacteria growing in this samples.

does someone know a protocol to separate the plant protoplast from the bacteria to use it before performing the DNA extraction?

Thank you so much for your help
Iratxe

by the way...congrats for the forum, it is really interesting!

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
Excellent

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

You could try density gradient centrifugation, but as chloroplasts and mitochondria are approximately bacterial size, it may not be very efficient/easy.

#3 lab rat

lab rat

Why does a science forum not have pictures of mice and rats?

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
Neutral

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

I don't know if this is a feasible solution, but here are two papers describing dielectrophoretic separation of different cell types from a mix (yeasts, bacteria, and plant cells):

Markx GH, et al. Dielectrophoretic characterization and separation of micro-organisms. Microbiology (1994), 140, 585-59.
Markx GH and Piethig R. Dielectrophoretic separation of cells: Continuous separation. Biotechnology and Bioengineering (1995) 45:4 337–343.

Edited by lab rat, 10 November 2012 - 06:02 PM.

42..."An immutable fixed-precision number of unlimited magnitude." <a href="http://en.wikipedia....amming_language)" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia....amming_language)</a>, accessed 25June2009.

#4 henryn

henryn

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:43 AM

I don't know much about it so can any one tell me about DNA as well as RNA Extraction in detail.
_________
total rna

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.